PDA

View Full Version : Argentium Silver?

Sandra
13-10-2013, 08:54 AM
I've recently read about Argentium silver. Has anyone here used it and if so, how does it compare to sterling silver? ( I haven't actually found a place in the UK that sells it yet though!)

Wallace
13-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi Sandra,

Palmer Metals (http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/wire/argentium-wire.html) do .8mm wire

It has good and bad points.

It doesn't tarnish like 925
Great for home made ear wires as it hardens well, especially when heated.
It melts into itself (fuses) but not cleanly
It can fracture when heated, although it is still very possible to heat, just be mindful it can collapse easily.
It has a nice lustre
Tumbles well and even says bright
Has a great ability to resist fire stain (germanium content and fine silver mix, possibly the reason why?)

This is some argentium, I do love its final result, but it can be difficult to solder. Once tumbled, I have never had to re-polish this bracelet.

caroleallen
13-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Cooksons used to do it. Back in 2010 Argex were supplying it but I'm not sure if they still do. I quite like it but would second what Wallace said.

Goldsmith
13-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Over the years there has been a few problems between suppliers and those who own the patent for Argentium, I believe that the company that has now aquired the rights to produce Argentium is the Legor Group, based in Italy. I have never used it as most of my silver work is enamelled and Argentium doesn't enamel well, but I do have friends who have had problems using it in the past and reverted to using sterling silver.

James

silvermagpie
13-10-2013, 02:24 PM
I use it occasionally and love the shine and brightness of it.
But i have had a few pieces crumble on me that i think i "over-soldered". :(|
As far as i know it doesn't tarnish at all though!