PDA

View Full Version : Gold ring

Patstone
10-10-2013, 05:48 PM
I got the order for the gold ring, yippee. Its 2mm thick 9ct yellow gold sheet, I have got an order in my basket together with some hard 9ct gold yellow solder. Never worked with gold before, is there anything else I should know, presumably you can still use flux and pickle etc. like I do with silver.

LydiaNiz
10-10-2013, 06:29 PM
'tis harder to work. More annealing (and if you're in my studio, often more salty talk ;-)
But flux and pickle as norm x Good luck!

caroleallen
10-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Yes, it will be hard to bend Pat. Hope it's not a teeny tiny ring.

Patstone
10-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Well its a size N, so not too small, but no doubt I will struggle. She wants the outside brushed, sort of a satin finish. I will keep you posted and post a pic when its done. Quite looking forward to a new challenge though.

Yes, it will be hard to bend Pat. Hope it's not a teeny tiny ring.

pearlescence
11-10-2013, 04:58 AM
As you learn this new skill and go through the making, with all the tension and so on, keep saying .'this is a shiny new challenge, lucky lucky me!' through gritted teeth if necessary.

(Seriously, hope it all goes smoothly!)

art925
11-10-2013, 06:36 AM
I remember the first time I soldered gold, I held my breath through the whole process. I think I still do, I know I always mutter to myself "and breathe" as the item goes into the pickle. Well done on getting your first gold commission Pat!!
Les

Patstone
11-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Thank you Les, I am reasonably experienced soldering silver, but its just that the customer has paid all of the cost before I have even bought the gold, so if I cock up it will be a costly mistake. Its not even a narrow band, its 1cm and 2mm thick, so here's hoping .........Inner self says, dont be silly you will be ok. Dont even know if I can bend it, good job I do "weight training" with a stiff steel up-and-over garage door.