PDA

View Full Version : Necklace Displays

silvermagpie
05-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi Guys, i'm in the process of setting up my new website and i'd like to use a Necklace display (rather than photograph my Necklaces on a model (or worse, myself :D ).
I've whittled it down to one of these,....... so just wanted to know what you think.
Or if you can recommend any other nice looking Necklace Displays, feel free to post them up!
Thanks for all replies/advice.
(Btw, i'll be photographing my Jewellery (Sterling and Brass) on either a White or Pale Grey background).

Lucie
05-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Ooohhh lovely :) Does your website / jewellery have a theme?

Wallace
05-10-2013, 12:09 PM
I like the dark wood.

I occasionally use a white background, but the sales I have, looking back have been with a grey or natural background. My little bucket, spade and windmill were actually photographed with sand.... Love industry standards, but find as a novice photographer, white and I don't work too well. Must be time to think of asking the forum for some sort of tutorial thread... Or did I miss that already?

silvermagpie
05-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Ooohhh lovely :) Does your website / jewellery have a theme?

No theme really,....but i mostly make "Funky" style Jewellery aimed at younger customers.
A theme would be great actually!

silvermagpie
05-10-2013, 01:35 PM
I like the dark wood.

I occasionally use a white background, but the sales I have, looking back have been with a grey or natural background. My little bucket, spade and windmill were actually photographed with sand.... Love industry standards, but find as a novice photographer, white and I don't work too well. Must be time to think of asking the forum for some sort of tutorial thread... Or did I miss that already?

I do like your Grey backgrounds better!
But i'll probably play around with the background colours before i decide.

Lucie
05-10-2013, 03:08 PM
I love website designs -really gives you an opportunity to put over a concept or your own individual point of view.
Saying that; mine is trey boring :( After a spell of being all girly & very "me", my husband convinced me that it needed to grow up a bit & I must admit it, my customers seem to agree!

I agree with Wallace, sterling would look fab on the dark wood!!
I also completely understand what she means about white backgrounds - They don't mix well with me either (understatement) :) After people telling me my photographs are terrible for well over a year, my poor little Kodak has been put to much better use photographing the kids & i've employed the skills of a lovely fella at Ward's to re-photograph everything.

Dennis
05-10-2013, 03:21 PM
At first sight they are very striking, but in the long term they will become boring and commercial like a window full of manikins in a dress shop. I am particularly repelled by the fabric one and to a lesser extent by the dark wood. One thing they do not say to me is youthful.

If you want to project the image of a studio jeweller, with individual hand made items, I would prefer found objects, such an drift wood, slate, pebbles, leaves and flowers, which you can change from time to time. I also find that acrylic blocks, rubbed down with abrasives, become very neutral to give height in photographs.

Below for comparison is a necklace displayed first informally and then on a more commercial stand. Which way is better?
I also include a circuit board, which might be really funky if slightly blurred, to one side of a display, a rolled acetate sheet with artificial flowers, and a seaside theme, using an offcut from a skip with some pebbles and loose gemstones.

I do hope you will not find my remarks offensive. Dennis.

Truffle & Podge
05-10-2013, 04:17 PM
I dunno i love the warmth dark wood gives to silver, it gives a richness that i think industry standard white back grounds lack, as Wallace suggested natural backgrounds give beautiful pics too. If you are going to display at a fair or exhibition or something as well it cant hurt to have one anyway, then you can experiment and switch between different styles of photography to keep things fresh. Personally i vote for the dark wood
x
(keep in mind my photography is abysmal but i know what i like when i see it lol)

LydiaNiz
05-10-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm a big fan of natural too, but tend to go for well-lit good ole decent quality white A4!
When I have an open studio I have natural (small!) slabs of polished tree trunk, slate, branches, unusual seed pods and so on to support the pieces.
If I had to pick one of those three, I would go with the dark wood if it is bright and highly polished jewellery.
I also use bottles occassionally, as I collect antique medical bottles which are all in my studio.

Wallace
05-10-2013, 05:38 PM
I had to chuckle Lydia, I popped over to your shottlebop and my eyes fell upon £6.66 worth of something from Diablo. Won't ask how you acquired it. But it has put the biggest smile on my face.

I still try the white paper, the white sheets etc and take pics but feel they miss their soul a little. May just be me. I like adding flowers and anything to detract from the white.

I am still laughing .....

Truffle & Podge
05-10-2013, 06:23 PM
I had to chuckle Lydia, I popped over to your shottlebop and my eyes fell upon £6.66 worth of something from Diablo. Won't ask how you acquired it. But it has put the biggest smile on my face.

I still try the white paper, the white sheets etc and take pics but feel they miss their soul a little. May just be me. I like adding flowers and anything to detract from the white.

I am still laughing .....

Am literally crying over that site shared it on fb.... hilarious and inspired Lydia!
X

LydiaNiz
05-10-2013, 07:16 PM
ahhh...it's where I'm allowed to vent allllllll my daftness so I can get through the day ;-)
It is not all safe for work, or indeed suitable for minors I should point out.

caroleallen
05-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Love the Shottlebop but not so sure about the displays. It's all down to personal taste. I prefer a white background or something natural like slate.

silvermagpie
06-10-2013, 08:48 AM
At first sight they are very striking, but in the long term they will become boring and commercial like a window full of manikins in a dress shop. I am particularly repelled by the fabric one and to a lesser extent by the dark wood. One thing they do not say to me is youthful.

If you want to project the image of a studio jeweller, with individual hand made items, I would prefer found objects, such an drift wood, slate, pebbles, leaves and flowers, which you can change from time to time. I also find that acrylic blocks, rubbed down with abrasives, become very neutral to give height in photographs.

Below for comparison is a necklace displayed first informally and then on a more commercial stand. Which way is better?
I also include a circuit board, which might be really funky if slightly blurred, to one side of a display, a rolled acetate sheet with artificial flowers, and a seaside theme, using an offcut from a skip with some pebbles and loose gemstones.

I do hope you will not find my remarks offensive. Dennis.

Not offended at all Dennis, as i came on here to get people's genuine opinions.
I actually think the displays can say "youthful", due to the fact that the Jewellery i'll be displaying is youthful!
To me, the displays are just a blank canvas and the Jewellery will speak for itself.

I actually will be incorporating Slate and Pebbles etc, but flowers and Leaves i'm not too sure about.
The photo's you posted are lovely and very inventive (love the Seaside Earrings!), but seem a bit too "stark" for the look i'm going for.
But again, it's all a matter of taste.
Your Driftwood idea and the Twigs (who someone earlier mentioned) would look fab incorporated somehow, with the Wood Displays!
Thinking about it, i may actually get both the Dark and Natural Wood Displays and just play around with different looks. ;)
Thanks everyone for your input!

Dennis
07-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Retail has never been about selling a product. It's about creating mini-theatres.

From What I Have Learnt........ Jo Malone,
The Times Magazine, 05.10.13.