PDA

View Full Version : Anywhere that sells these Metal Blanks in the UK?

silvermagpie
28-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Hi Guys, i've been searching for these pre cut Metal Blanks in the UK....but don't seem to be having much luck.
I need them in Brass and Aluminium (any inexpensive Gold or Silver coloured Metal really).
I need around this size http://www.etsy.com/listing/115568945/20-large-rectangle-blanks-34-x-1-34?ref=shop_home_active and the skinnier/long 6cm x 1cm ones as well.
I've tried making them myself but because i'm not great at cutting metal....it's just proving too time consuming. :/
Thanks!

josef1
28-09-2013, 03:52 PM
You would be able to cut them quickly with a hand shear,make sure everythings adjusted up correctly so it cuts nice and clean then set up some stops to place the metal in the right place for cutting and shear away !

mizgeorge
28-09-2013, 05:06 PM
If you don't have a shear, I can cut them for you if you like? I cut a lot of blanks for stamping for various customers - though I tend to go for slightly heavier than the 24ga listed there, which is very thin for finished pieces.

Dragonfly925
29-09-2013, 08:56 AM
If you don't have a shear, I can cut them for you if you like? I cut a lot of blanks for stamping for various customers - though I tend to go for slightly heavier than the 24ga listed there, which is very thin for finished pieces.
Hi, do you do sterling blanks too? X

silvermagpie
29-09-2013, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the offer mizgeorge,...i'll get back to you on that as still looking.

Was also thinking about using Stainless Steel blanks.
What's it like to stamp with?

Also, what's the deal with Nickel Silver. Can we use it in the UK?

mizgeorge
29-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi, do you do sterling blanks too? X

Yes I do :) If you want to drop me a private message or contact me via my website (in my signature) I'll let you have some more info.

Thanks for the offer mizgeorge,...i'll get back to you on that as still looking.

Was also thinking about using Stainless Steel blanks.
What's it like to stamp with?

Also, what's the deal with Nickel Silver. Can we use it in the UK?

I can do steel blanks, but only in basic shapes. It's not as punch friendly as softer metals, but can look good for dogtags etc.

Nickel silver (or German silver) cannot be used for jewellery here - it doesn't comply with EC directives.

silvermagpie
30-09-2013, 08:31 AM
I can do steel blanks, but only in basic shapes. It's not as punch friendly as softer metals, but can look good for dogtags etc.

Nickel silver (or German silver) cannot be used for jewellery here - it doesn't comply with EC directives.

Yes, i had a feeling Stainless wasn't great to stamp with and it's a shame we can't use Nickel Silver, as it looks a lot better than Aluminium.
But thanks for the info! :)

mizgeorge
30-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Aluminium can look fantastic if you put a little bit of work into prep and finish. The only drawback is that it can be too light for pendants. Ideal for bracelets though as the light weight actually makes them more comfortable to wear.

DaisyDaisy
30-09-2013, 01:37 PM
You'll find it extremely difficult to find decent aluminium stamping blanks in the UK. The few sites which do stock them only have very thin gauge blanks and, to honest, as George has said, they're really too thin....hit slightly too hard and the blank will warp out of shape. There are a couple of very good suppliers on Etsy who have blanks which are finished to a high standard and are very shiny (Gottagettadeal is one). The drawback there, though, is the high price for shipping and being stung by customs charges.

Not sure if you have Facebook, silvermagpie, but there is a group on there for metal stampers who are based in the UK (Hand Stamped Metal Jewellery Makers UK). Perhaps you're already a member?!

silvermagpie
01-10-2013, 05:40 PM
There are a couple of very good suppliers on Etsy who have blanks which are finished to a high standard and are very shiny

Yes, i ended up getting them from Etsy in the end.