PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations.

Lucie
26-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Hi everyone. I'm looking to learn a few more things and wanted to buy some good books (would love to go on some courses, but circumstances mean I rarely leave the house, so I need ones with a few pictures :D )

Is there a "recommended book list" anywhere on the forum? Also; do we have a list of tried and tested suppliers anywhere (i.e: electro forming companies, etc).

Thank you :)

Dennis
26-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi Lucie, if you put books into our search list above, you will find some, but if you do not already have them I would recommend The Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight, and The Workbench Guide to Jewellery Techniques by Anastasia Young.

If you already have These then Jewellery Concepts And Technology by Oppi Untracht is a large and comprehensive tome.

If stuck on services, it is always best to go for members' recommendations, but the Goldsmith's company portal will always information under 'Services'. Dennis.

http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/library/technical-library/technical-portal/

mizgeorge
26-09-2013, 10:15 AM
I'd agree completely with Dennis - and I'd add Alan Revere's Professional Jewelry Making - http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Jewelry-Making-Alan-Revere/dp/1929565429 which has some excellent projects as well as techniques.

Lucie
26-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Thank you very much guys. I've been meaning to get hold of a copy of The Complete Metalsmith for a while now and the other suggestions look good too!

Do you know if it goes into wax carving at all? I'm also looking to improve my little hinged boxes, which leave a little to be desired :)

Dennis
26-09-2013, 06:14 PM
It has a few pages of basic instruction and diagrams for both of those, but books don't warn you about how you can go wrong. So it's blood and tears until you work it out. Much quicker learned on a course though.

Lucie
27-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Blood and tears I can deal with Dennis- I just have to try and sort out some time to myself to get on with it! Thanks again.

LydiaNiz
28-09-2013, 08:23 AM
I have my first wax blocks and carving set here, just need five minutes with no ill kids or studio visits! Love to know any waxy tips.

Dennis
29-09-2013, 06:47 PM
I have my first wax blocks and carving set here, just need five minutes with no ill kids or studio visits! Love to know any waxy tips.

This is an activity where you use all sorts of tools you happen to have.

Very cheap rough needle files or riffler files from the tool section of a pound shop are good, as well as a small wire brush to clean the wax out of them.

My favourite carving tool also came in a cheap set from a pound shop. It is like TCO36, sold separately by Walshes. One trick is to heat it over the flame of a minitorch, melt some wax onto it and then drip the wax to obliterate an error. You could use a small kitchen paring knife for this too.

The torch can be used gently at a distance to smooth wax surfaces. Some people smooth the finished wax with eucalyptus oil on a small pledget of cotton wool held with tweezers. Others dip the pledget in water, heat it in a flame until the water boils and then use it hot to smooth the wax.

If size matters as in rings, it is worth discussing with you caster whether you need to allow for metal shrinkage. Dennis.

LydiaNiz
29-09-2013, 07:02 PM
thanks Dennis - always nice to know this kind of thing in advance, rather than be gnashing teeth after!

medusa
12-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Thank you very much guys. I've been meaning to get hold of a copy of The Complete Metalsmith for a while now and the other suggestions look good too!

Do you know if it goes into wax carving at all? I'm also looking to improve my little hinged boxes, which leave a little to be desired :)

The complete metalsmith was my first ever book and is fab.

For hinges there is another book by McCreight on hinges and catches, but the Lewton-Braine one is much better I think. Less eye candy but more detailed.

Lucie
12-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Thank you hunni - Glad to see you back on here :~:
Is there any pics to guide you in the Lewton-Braine one? My poor brain has issues processing instructions without :confused:

medusa
12-10-2013, 04:06 PM
there are pics, yes. they are basic but (I think) clear.

Lucie
12-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Thanks again :)