PDA

View Full Version : Help, what is this jewellery finding called!

TangerineDreams
17-09-2013, 09:00 PM

Hi everyone! I have this really old handmade coin bracelet I found in my granddads coin collection, I want to try and make another one but I'm going crazy trying to find out what the thing connecting the coins is.

The only way I can describe it is as 2 joined jumprings in an 8 shape with two open bits! I'm sure I could make it with something else but the thing used here means you can swivel the coins round.

Does anyone know what it is called and where I can buy them? Would be so grateful for any opinions, I'm not getting anywhere googling 'jumprings in an 8 shape with two open bits'!!!

Thanks
Antonia

MeadMoon
18-09-2013, 07:58 AM
I would call them figure 8 connectors and have seen some on Etsy. But it should be easy enough to make these yourself with a wire jig. I'm not sure what you mean about the swivel though.

mizgeorge
18-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Not even a jig needed - a pair or round nosed pliers will do the job perfectly. Just make a sharpie mark on the pliers to get consistent sized loops or use a pair of dedicated looping or bail pliers.

Dennis
18-09-2013, 10:06 AM
They are just wires bent to a figure of eight and hardly worth buying. As Elaine has suggested, just make a simple jig:

Get a piece of wood and put in two wood screws which have a smooth portion at the head end. Then cut off the heads. You can now wind your figure of eights, three or four each time and cut them through with a jewelers saw.

I did this quickly to show you, but the wire I had to hand was a bit thick. Ha George beat me to it. Dennis

TangerineDreams
20-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Thank you! Can't believe I didn't realise it was just wire! Where can you buy brass/bronze plated wire from? Does Cookson sell it?

Thanks again and thanks for the picture, see how it works now.

Antonia

mizgeorge
20-09-2013, 09:58 AM
I would always recommend www.wires.co.uk for non-precious metal wires.