PDA

View Full Version : Torque Bracelets.

artyfact
24-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Dear Anyone that can help,

I have been asked to create a "torque" bracelet. As a result of research, there does not really seem to be an industry standard for one of these apart from that it often has an opening instead of a clasp and simply sits on the wrist via tension (probably why it's called torque).

Anyway, the question, I would like to make this using a byzantine style chain but am looking for a suitable end cap that will close with a megnatic clasp - any ideas - the piece is for a man (very masculine so no filigree pieces)...

MuranoSilver
24-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Byzantine Style as in Chainmaille (rather than bangle style)?
You can use Hatties Maglettes and make a PMC closure which would
integrate with whatever clasp you wanted ;)
OR I find s-clasps are very easy to do up and probably more secure than a magnet. (work well with Byzantine chain)
nic x

ps_bond
24-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Daft question - that's definitely not a torc, is it?

(not that that would be chain, I realise...)

Added - according to Wikipedia (that reliable bastion of wisdom :) ) a torc is also a torque.

MuranoSilver
24-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Nope if it was solid it would be a bangle I think a torc would usually be on the neck, but I've had people call bangles torc bangles (particularly when they match a neck torc) :)
nic x

ps_bond
24-08-2009, 07:00 PM
I've seen neck & arm torcs in the British museum IIRC... A long, long history.

MuranoSilver
24-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Ahh we digress - people will torque :D
Did that help with your question John?
Are we on the right track with the byzantine?
nic x

Di Sandland
24-08-2009, 07:08 PM
I thought torcs/torques were those things that writhe up the arm like a snake?

Matp85
24-08-2009, 07:16 PM
we usually affiliate that to an object without clasp/hinge etc but just one solid object usually has a bit of spring to allow it get onto the person. if it be arm, neck, leg or wrist!

Di Sandland
24-08-2009, 07:24 PM
I semi-designed a neck torc a year or so ago but couldn't work out how to hinge it or whatever so that the wearer could get it on. Didn't have this forum then, of course.

ben b
24-08-2009, 08:11 PM

mizgeorge
24-08-2009, 08:35 PM
the only way I can immediately think of to make a byzantine chain into a torque style would be to create it with oversize rings (take the AR up to perhaps 4.5 or even 5), and then thread it onto a very well hardened open ended bangle - perhaps one with ball ends to allow you to fix the second end after adding the chain. It would still be move around on its central core, though, which probably wouldn't be very elegant.

I think this style works better with viking knit than chain to be honest.

Lindyloo
24-08-2009, 10:21 PM
:wwopics:

Linda

ben b
24-08-2009, 11:04 PM
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=torc+bangle&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

EmmaRose
25-08-2009, 11:50 AM
@ Ben Useful explanation Ben, thanks, its amazing how much stuff is out there. Perhaps ask the customer what they had in mind when requesting it?
@ Lindy loo how did you do those smilies???
Em

mizgeorge
25-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Em, the smilies are all in the new smily list (when you click on more), but only if you're not using quick reply.

Solunar Silver Studio
25-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Dear Anyone that can help,

I have been asked to create a "torque" bracelet. As a result of research, there does not really seem to be an industry standard for one of these apart from that it often has an opening instead of a clasp and simply sits on the wrist via tension (probably why it's called torque).

Anyway, the question, I would like to make this using a byzantine style chain but am looking for a suitable end cap that will close with a megnatic clasp - any ideas - the piece is for a man (very masculine so no filigree pieces)...

Hi Artyfact - nothing to do with what you have actually asked - but when you were torc ing about torcs I suddenly remembered this book that I bought a couple of months ago and have only looked at the piccies so far. I just thought you might be interested!! Sorry - my scanner has packed up so I've had to photograph the pages in a rather impromptu fashion but you might get the gist of it!

This is the book link to Bookdepository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781931499576/Woven-Wire-Jewelry

Sorry - it wouldn't let me upload the final page....you will just have to get the book!!!

They also do one with a pmc end - which is the one featured on the cover.

I will get round to reading this book one day...the pictures are so exciting!!

Di Sandland
25-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Hey, Barbara, I have that book too. Its beautiful to look at but I haven't attempted anything out of it - yet.

Solunar Silver Studio
25-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Didn't think of adding another post...DERRRR!!!!

Daddarrrrr 115

CyberPaddy66
25-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Oh my that's lovely, kind of ight up my alley you might say :D I had a go a Viking Weave the other day and apart from the time consuming bit of starting the whole process is really rather easy.

The finished (or should say unfinished as it was just binding wire not anything saleable) was ver6y sturdy but flexable enough to be worm, I'm going to make a sterling silver necklace using the technique as soon as I get the spare material.

Solunar Silver Studio
25-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Hey, Barbara, I have that book too. Its beautiful to look at but I haven't attempted anything out of it - yet.

Great minds Di - great minds:agree:!!