PDA

View Full Version : Radial discs

caroleallen
17-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Following on from Dennis' comment on another thread, I was wondering what other people use.

I always use yellow, blue and green in that order, mainly because they're the colours supplied by Cooksons in their packs. I hadn't realised that there are also white, brown, pink etc.

ps_bond
17-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Red, blue, pink, green, peach (or is it peach then green?). White and yellow are too aggressive for my needs most of the time. Blue and pink see the most use as I'll usually finish with a mop.

Petal
17-09-2013, 09:50 AM
That's interesting Carole I use the same as you, yellow, blue and light green. You say the yellow is too aggressive Peter, what's the difference?

Lucie
17-09-2013, 09:55 AM
By the sounds of all the comments on these, I don't know how on earth i've never heard of these little gems!
Think I'll have to go & treat myself :)
Can anyone suggest the best grit to start off with for a rough casting? Noticed that cousins sell them separately & are marginally cheaper :)

ps_bond
17-09-2013, 10:01 AM
In the 3M range, the yellow is 80 grit. That's a much coarser abrasive than I generally use - I don't tend to start using them until I've emeryed to at the most 320 grit, usually 600.

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/mn-3m-radial-bristle-disc.htm

Peach then light green :)

Lucie
17-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Cheers for the link (& the excuse to go shopping) :)

mizgeorge
17-09-2013, 10:17 AM
For the basic kit, I don't think you can beat the Cooksons price - 18 discs and three mandrels included, which from a quick look would cost quite a bit more anywhere else in the UK.

Lucie
17-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks a lot George. I have some other bits to buy from Cooksons this week, so i'll give them a go. x

ShinyLauren
17-09-2013, 11:55 AM
I don't often use the yellow. I'll usually go red, blue, pink or peach, green.

I really want some of the 2" ones in the same colours together with the tapered spindle adaptors, but can't seem to find anyone that sells them in the UK. Started placing an order with Otto Frei yesterday, but shipping came out at between $30 and $80 dollars for about 20 discs, which I'm sure can't weigh that much!

Dennis
17-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Feed back I have read about the large ones for polishing lathe said they were disappointed in them, Lauren.

ps_bond
17-09-2013, 01:13 PM
I quite like them. You can't slow the wheel down appreciably or they don't cut at all, they need to run full tilt.

ShinyLauren
17-09-2013, 03:28 PM
I would like to give them a go, as the smaller ones aren't quite large enough to get into the gaps I want without the mandrel metal bits hitting the piece as it spins. The 2" ones you can thread onto a 1/4 shank mandrel and use in a pendant drill apparently.

Where did you get yours from Peter?

ps_bond
17-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Really? Sounds a bit large to be whirling on a pendant motor.

I got the 3" ones from Otto Frei. I'm a bit picky about what I use them on - the discs shred quite easily on edges.

mizgeorge
17-09-2013, 04:39 PM
I don't know if it helps Lauren, but the larger ones are very different to the little versions - much stiffer, and I found them much less friendly to use. I stack mine fairly high (usually around 5 to a mandrel) and as long as they're fairly new, find the reach on the small ones pretty good. I do have some 1" versions (also from Otto Frei) and these are lovely on a handpiece though.

JonLendrum
17-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Ive never used these before, are these to replace manually sanding to finish?

ShinyLauren
18-09-2013, 07:38 AM
I don't know if it helps Lauren, but the larger ones are very different to the little versions - much stiffer, and I found them much less friendly to use. I stack mine fairly high (usually around 5 to a mandrel) and as long as they're fairly new, find the reach on the small ones pretty good. I do have some 1" versions (also from Otto Frei) and these are lovely on a handpiece though.

Hmmm, good to know.

Do they make the 1" ones in all grades though? I need the peach/green ones in the larger size and I can only see more abrasive ones in the 1" size.

ShinyLauren
18-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Really? Sounds a bit large to be whirling on a pendant motor.

I got the 3" ones from Otto Frei. I'm a bit picky about what I use them on - the discs shred quite easily on edges.

Does it sound dangerous to use them on a pendant motor then? I found a box of 10 green ones on Ebay with much cheaper shipping than Otto Frei, so might just get them to try them out before I order a whole bunch of them then.

ps_bond
18-09-2013, 08:57 AM
The mandrels are quite thin, and if you put too much out-of-balance mass on them they'll quickly bend and then they're much more out-of-balance. At speed. The cheap ones are only plated brass and fail quite easily, which is why I only use the Busch ones now. Which is not to say there are definitely none of the cheap ones left on the bench!

I've only got the coarser ones in the 1" wheels and they're much more rigid than either the 3/4" or the 3" wheels.

Kermit
26-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi All

After reading about these radial discs on here I have bought the set from Cooksons (3 mandrels, three different colour dics). I am really happy with the result I get, and much quicker than by hand.

My question is how long should they last?

I was using them on a simple silver bangle (2mm round wire) and a textured silver bangle with three discs stacked on one mandrel.

Thanks

Petal
26-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Hi All

After reading about these radial discs on here I have bought the set from Cooksons (3 mandrels, three different colour dics). I am really happy with the result I get, and much quicker than by hand.

My question is how long should they last?

I was using them on a simple silver bangle (2mm round wire) and a textured silver bangle with three discs stacked on one mandrel.

Thanks

Its a 'how long is a piece of string' sort of answer... it depends on how often you use them. I've only just replaced my yellow one, as its pretty much fallen to bits. I also stack a min of three on my mandrel too.

Kermit
26-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks Jules - thought it might be the case ;)

I was disappointed as my yellow ones only lasted for two bracelets and I thought they would last longer - but live and learn, I just need to order more!

I also found them very messy!

mizgeorge
26-09-2013, 05:13 PM
I think you might not be using them quite right if they've only lasted for two bracelets! I use mine every day, and change them about once a month - I stack at least four and usually five - and use them until they're pretty thin.

Are you sure you put them on the right way for the spin of your handpiece. If you have them rotating in the wrong direction, they'll shred pretty quickly. They should be turning with, rather than against the curve of the bristles. I'm not sure about mess - I think they're one of the absolute cleanest abrasives I use.

Dennis
26-09-2013, 06:21 PM
If bits are flying off, you are spinning them too fast, pressing too hard, or working on rough or sharp areas, which cut the rubber. I agree with George, in that you won't find a cleaner method.

To finish edges, it is better to file and then finish with MicroMesh, abrasive rubber blocks, or grades of silicon rubber wheels; a wide choice. The latter will become grooved or irregular, but can be re-shaped on any diamond coated surface without damaging it.

As you have mentioned textures, I would like to add that to preserve them at their best they should really be finished by burnishing, not abrasion. A tumbler, or just a wet and soapy brass brush will do that for you. Dennis.

Kermit
26-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Thank you for the advice. I'd made sure I had them on the right way round, and funnily enough the first time I used them I was fine, second time not. I think I may have adjusted the speed, so I'll try to set it slower and see how that goes.

Trial and error and all that!

Dennis
26-09-2013, 08:57 PM
I have just edited my post above, a fraction too late it seems.