PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the arctic!

Pulmunen
04-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Hi,

I am a Brit in Finnish Lapland a couple of hundred miles north of the arctic circle. I went to a weekend silverwork last year and loved it. I'm now building up my own "workshop" at home so that I'm not completely dependent on rare local classes.

Apart from chain up until now I have concentrated on flat openwork pendants and charms. I am inspired by local winter activity themes at the moment - huskies, skidoos, skiers, etc. I'm also learning about the history of Sami silver jewellery and symbols. I'm hoping to move on to some new techniques, though.

I don't really have much to offer anyone else, but Him Indoors is Heath Robinson reincarnated and tries to make whatever I need at home (with a small aubergine ;)). Current project: jewellery tumbler. So if you're looking for off-the-wall engineering solutions he's your man.

Dennis
04-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Hi Pulmunen, welcome to the forum. Contrary to what you say, you can offer us some conversation from your part of the world and ask some questions when you're stuck. Regards, Dennis.

Gemsetterchris
05-09-2013, 05:07 AM
Tervetuloa Pulmanen, Well that`s interesting..where abouts are you? I`m down in Nokia near Tampere.
I have been all the way up to lake Inari a couple of times for a fishing trip, quite some scenery & peacefullness for a ex-Londoner.

Truffle & Podge
05-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Hello and welcome, can't wait to see some pics :D x

lorraineflee
05-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Hi and welcome!!

Pulmunen
05-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the welcome and kiitos, Gemsetterchris! I am near Muonio, so on the western side of Finnish Lapland, next to the Swedish border and close to some beautiful parts of Norway. Good fishing in this river and the lakes. I am tempted by the general artisan's course in Inari, conducted in Sami and focussing on Sami arts and crafts. I have been through Nokia once or twice - it's a different world even though we are in the same country.

Dennis, it would make my day if I can contribute anything. I've already had a number of questions answered without asking them by reading helpful posts elsewhere on this forum.

Kate (I meant to sign off with my name on the first post ;))

Dennis
05-09-2013, 07:57 PM
it would make my day if I can contribute anything.

Kate, you already have. Forums wither without talk. To paraphrase W. Churchill: Better Jaw Jaw, than Naw Naw. Dennis.

Tabby66
06-09-2013, 05:08 AM
Welcome Kate! It's great to have folk on the forum with a diverse set of influences and interests! You'll have loads to contribute!!
Jill (aka Tabby) xx

Wallace
06-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Hello from me in rural Wiltshire. Looking forward to conversing on the forum sometime.

Kindest,
Wallace

MeadMoon
06-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Hello Kate and welcome to the forum. I'm sure that you'll have a lot to contribute; I'd love to know a bit more about Sami arts & culture.

Petal
06-09-2013, 08:17 AM
A warm welcome from me too Kate. Having just googled Muonio, the scenery looks truly spectacular. Looking forward to seeing some of your makes when you have time. :D

sonia
06-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Welcome from me too Kate - I think I was close to you last month - me and OH went to Nordcapp on the bike and we travelled up skirting the finish/swedish border towards the end.

Beautiful part of the world. We saw lots of reindeer and santa signs!

Sonia
xx

Pulmunen
08-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks again all for the warm welcome!

Sonia, you probably got very close to us. I hope you enjoyed your trip. For some reason reindeer get out of the way of bikes much more quickly than cars - at least that was my experience when I still had a bike.

Now back to reading those really helpful threads on polishing...