PDA

View Full Version : Tools

Patstone
29-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Yesterday I was talking to a lady that said that she attended the Cornish Jewellery School for a PMC course and also went to the evening class that I went to. I was admiring the pendant she had on which was a silver hammered dome on a flat back which had been bent over the edge of the domed part. I said that must have taken a bit of doing as it was quite thick silver and she said the school had a tool for doing it which you screwed up and it bent the base over. I wondered if anyone had heard of them and what they are called, or is it something made up by them to do a job.

Dennis
29-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Haven't seen one of those Pat, but I think you could get that effect by adding a bezel. Anyhow, why not sneak in and have a look and then tell us. Regards, |Dennis.

mizgeorge
29-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Might they have been using a press with a conforming die to create a bezel cup perhaps?

Patstone
30-08-2013, 11:14 AM
You are probably right, she described it as best she could, but because I have never seen what you are talking about I dont know. The pendant she made is about 3cm across. Lady is going to get her niece to have a look in the roof for her when she next visits, as the lady in question is quite severely disabled and has to rely on relatives to help her. When I get to see it, I will photograph it and post it on the forum.

Truffle & Podge
30-08-2013, 05:36 PM
I agree with George, sounds like a press jobbie :) x