PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's Project Ideas

Sandra
28-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Hello jewellery makers,

Does anyone have ideas (preferably with instructions!) for beginner's jewellery projects? I am most intrigued by designs using both silver and copper, challenging but not too difficult as I am not too experienced at anything (YET)!

caroleallen
28-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Hi Sandra. Without knowing what equipment you have, it would be difficult to recommend anything.

Dennis
28-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Many beginners just start with metal clays and never get much further. You can produce some credible pieces that way, with only a few tools, but it's an expensive way to use metals and hardly familiarises you with the jewellers craft.

What immediately springs to mind is to recommend a beginners book with projects and you might get TWO-IN-ONE MANUALS JEWELLERY, by Madeline Coles, which is not too expensive, has 23 projects and lots about the common jewellery techniques.

Another short cut is to join a part time beginners curse, so that you can get a better overview of the subject and try all the tools.

Let us know how you get on. Welcome to the forum, Dennis.

Sandra
28-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the replies, and I realise now I didn't give vey much information! Supplies I have are bench vice, bench pin, jewellers saw, torch, soldering materials, various types of pliers and hammers, drill, metal alphabet punches, bracelet-size mandrel and probably other things I can't think of at the moment.
I've worked a bit with clay but I'm not satisfied with that- I need to get into actual actual metal work!

Wallace
28-08-2013, 09:44 PM
for some really basic and good ideas (and tips) Stephen O'Keefe is a good starter for 10 for ideas and designs, techniques and ideas with a variety of metals. I got myself a copy according to amazon at the beginning of January 2004 - good grief, really, how time flies when you are having fun at the bench.

a quick link - he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he does explain it for those on the pathway. He helped me in my early days.

Amazon link (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shortcuts-Jewellery-Making-Stephen-OKeeffe/dp/0713665076/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377726131&sr=8-1&keywords=stephen+o%27keefe+jewellery)

Ada
28-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Hi Sandra

You might like to check out your local library and see what silversmithing/jewellery-making books they have. That would allow you to see if the projects appeal to you, and whether the information given is comprehensive or patchy.

As Dennis has suggested, if there are any colleges or workshops in your area offering part time courses, you can benefit from the knowledge and support of the tutor while you develop your ideas & skills; you can also access a wide range of tools without breaking the bank :)

Good luck...

Sandra
28-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Thank you Wallace, I will take a look at the book. I have purchased several books now and others downloaded onto Kindle. Problem is there is just SO much info out there I can't figure out where to start! I'm almost nervous to get started...

Sandra
28-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Oh Ada Ive recently done just that. The books I found were not anything I found helpful at this stage, but thank you for the advice! Now that autumn is almost upon us I will check into any possible courses in the area. I just need a little help to get going!

Wallace
28-08-2013, 10:50 PM
another thing to get you started might be a theme and develop a mood board, jot down some sketches and see if you can do something with them. I used to draw boxes of a given height and then make patterns inside them, either by drilling, sawing or adding other pieces. It was a good way to learn how to drill, saw and solder. Sometimes it would be a leaf, a dog, an owl or even mushrooms and poppies all in a 5cm square box.

Just an idea.

as you mention, you do need get your metal out and indeed start creating - it won't happen without some practice. I have been at this for a long while now (according to amazon, since January 2004 with the metal stuff) and then the hallmark had a renewal notice this week (fortunately I have moved to LOA - and loving it there)

good luck.

susieq
29-08-2013, 12:45 AM
Hi Sandra, welcome to the forum.

You mention tools but what metal do you already have? Copper, silver, wire, sheet? Size? If you don't want to make additional purchases, then this may limit your options when it comes to deciding what to make.

And apart from art clay projects, what techniques are you familiar with? What sort of things have you already made - and what would you like to make?

It'll be easier for folks here to help if you could provide a little more information of what sort of project you have in mind.

Have you tried googling youtube for ideas? There are some great project tutorials around for beginners.

Susie

Goldsmith
29-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Hi Sandra,
I assume that you have a piercing saw frame and some blades in your tool collection. If so then how about learning to saw pierce. When I was an apprentice I spent the first 6 months at the bench doing nothing but piercing and filing. At first I was given a piece of flat silver sheet, told to design an entwined monogram of some initials, draw in onto the silver sheet, scratch it with a scriber, then pierce it out. In these modern days you could use a computer to design and print out a monogram or similar, stick it onto some flat metal sheet and pierce and file. In my career I have made thousands of monograms this way, they have been used as earrings, pendants, key chains, ring details and additions to many boxes etc. Learn some piercing skills and you can then cut any shapes you wish in the future. If you make items from scratch using sheet and wires piercing is an important skill to learn.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your future creations.

James

Sandra
29-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Thanks again Wallace for the advice.

I have a little copper and silver sheet, silver wire in different gauges (some in heavy gauge 5mm) as well as silver & copper disc blanks. I have other copper blanks in various shapes like little hearts, keys, etc. I also have copper wire in various gauges. I am not actually familiar with any techniques yet and haven't made anything yet (besides clay). I have a workbench of my own full of these lovely jewellery making supplies. (Well it's sharing space with my oil painting supplies)

I've done endless YouTube googling, have many videos bookmarked. I've downloaded many books on Kindle and purchased others. I just don't know where to begin - I feel nervous about starting!

Sandra
29-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Goldsmith I have the saw that was included in this kit: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Beginners-Tool-Kit-prcode-997-1001#product-description.

caroleallen
29-08-2013, 07:43 AM
I'd also recommend the 2 books suggested above - Madeleine Cole and Stephen O'Keefe. Both are superb for beginners with easy projects.

Many people start by making a simple silver ring. I won't tell you how to do it as both those books will do it much better than I could.

Sandra
29-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Ok just ordered the Madeleine Cole book.

ps_bond
29-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Ok just ordered the Madeleine Cole book.

Thanks for that... I just googled Madeline Cole and ended up with a site that really wasn't about jewellery. At work. Madeline Coles, however, is a much safer bet.

Sandra
29-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks for that... I just googled Madeline Cole and ended up with a site that really wasn't about jewellery. At work. Madeline Coles, however, is a much safer bet.
Umm yes I found that one too LOL but did end up finding the jewellery making book! I am posting a couple ideas here, do you think making something similar to one of these as a beginner is a reasonable start or should I be looking at something much more basic?

ps_bond
29-08-2013, 02:28 PM
First one - drilling, piercing, stamping, making jump rings.
Second one - drilling, piercing, making jump rings.

You'd need a suitable set of letter stamps for the first - or you could learn engraving - but the second one wouldn't need that additional chunk. I'd start with that, personally - time spent learning piercing is never wasted, it's core to goldsmithing.

mizgeorge
29-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Do bear in mind that the second one is a design created by a very talented young artist (who may well even be a member here, and is certainly a member on other forums) and should not be copied. Make sure you come up with your own design to play with :)

Wallace
29-08-2013, 03:38 PM
oh, you beat me to it G!

inspiration is great, but you need to do your own thing - Jess has a lot of experience in sawing, and was given a help from one of her family members (if I recall correctly on her first post on the UKJC forum). Jess doesn't often share how she does her work, but it may be worth sending her a PM on facebook, under gorjess jewellery

Sandra
29-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Oh yes I would definitely not copy anything but i am just looking at the basic ideas to get going on my own design. If I did the cutout design I would use that same idea but use my own drawing (which would have nothing to do with flowers.) Same for the layered piece, would use different shapes, different quotes and different cutout overlay piece. I just need something to look for inspiration to get going!
I do have a couple sets of (unused) alphabet punch stamps. The cutout design might help with getting used to the jewellers saw.
But I'm still unsure whether these are too sophisticated a design as a first project.

LydiaNiz
29-08-2013, 06:26 PM
The first thing I ever made was a band ring from 1.5mm sheet. The second was a hammered one. The third was a bezel set ring.
Once you start having a play, you'll get a feeling for what you enjoy and what interests you. Like others here have said, it's important to get the basics done well (filing/sawing/finishing) before getting really creative.
My first tutor insisted I buy this book, and I've found it a great how-to guide when I've been stuck, but also raid my library for anything and everything they have. This place is brilliant for tips and help though! Enjoy!

ETA book! http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete-Metalsmith-Illustrated-Handbook/dp/0871922401

GreenSnail
29-08-2013, 09:03 PM
The first think I made was a pattern of squares 4mm across, out of copper, 11x11 squares. Marking, scribing, piercing and filing. I made quite a few of those actually, we couldn't move on from an exercise until it was perfect and were encouraged to start over (more practice) than fix what we had done so far.

I didn't make any jewellery 'til about 8 months into my apprenticeship. The first bit of jewellery was a 2mm wide ring.....which had 3 joins....#-o

I'd start with something simple which focuses more on techniques than design.

LydiaNiz
29-08-2013, 09:13 PM
I forgot about mark making! (Blocked it out) of course there was a TON of that first!

Wallace
30-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Oh, the things you miss being self taught! Lol

LydiaNiz
30-08-2013, 11:12 AM
I'ts funny Wallace, I only did the first term of my City & Guilds ( a new job in a different part of London meant I couldn't continue - but my tutor still sneakily entered my term's work at the end of the year and I got the qualification!) but he was so thorough, I think if anyone else had taught me, I wouldn't have found it half as interesting. He made us do everything the 'proper' way, and was fab. It was a total fluke me finding the class (I wanted something local and hands on - I missed fine art and making things), but it ended up me finding the one thing I love doing above all else.

I don't miss the excercises though ;-)

Truffle & Podge
30-08-2013, 05:07 PM
The first thing I ever made was a band ring from 1.5mm sheet. The second was a hammered one. The third was a bezel set ring.
Once you start having a play, you'll get a feeling for what you enjoy and what interests you. Like others here have said, it's important to get the basics done well (filing/sawing/finishing) before getting really creative.
My first tutor insisted I buy this book, and I've found it a great how-to guide when I've been stuck, but also raid my library for anything and everything they have. This place is brilliant for tips and help though! Enjoy!

ETA book! http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete-Metalsmith-Illustrated-Handbook/dp/0871922401
A plain band is a great and inexpensive start, you can use D wire and get to grips with perfect seaming. You can always add on to it as you get more adept. I think i read somewhere that making dozens of jumprings and soldering them is a good way to go too.

Truffle & Podge
30-08-2013, 05:16 PM
And yep the more piercing you do the better! it's a bit of a knack but so enjoyable when it clicks. Start simple and don't get discouraged just keep going, copper sheet is good to practice on as its so much cheaper, you won't be disappointed if its not wearable jewelry to begin with. The poppy pendant Jess made looks deceptively simple but that is a hard won skill, just trying to follow a straight line will give you a headache for quite a while :) remember to relax your grip and let the blade do the work (harder than it sounds lol)

Sandra
11-09-2013, 06:20 PM
A full day of attempted jewellery-making - I am bloody, bruised and sore with nothing worthy of wearing. But I can't wait to get back at it tomorrow :-p

Patstone
12-09-2013, 06:01 AM
The first thing I made was a ring and like Lydia, out of sheet, then another, then came the one with a stone in. The fourth one was my own design but pushing the boundaries a little (I lied, a lot), been pushing boundaries ever since. If you get an idea, draw it, even if you think you cant make it right at this moment, you will be surprised at how soon the design looks easy. If I were giving advice to a new person, I would say, make sure the item is finished without a scratch or dent on it, its one area that I really struggle with even now, four years on. I have to force myself to sand, sand, sand then when its polished it comes up beautiful, but it needs patience and thats something I dont have.

Goldsmith
12-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Just to remind anyone looking for tips and technique tutorials, don't forget to check out the older Cooksongold Forum postings listed under "Tutorials, Bench tips and Step by Steps"

James

Sandra
13-09-2013, 06:59 AM
As always thanks for all the great advice! I have been watching videos and doing lots of reading. But I seem to always have to learn the hard way. Like the silver twisted hammered bangle I made with thick silver wire. It was looking good, I pickled and polished it but it still didn't seem quite shiny enough, so I used 1200 grit sandpaper on it. The shine came out but in the process I sanded all the hammering marks away with the exception of a few deeper marks. I ruined it I think. I may anneal it again (though I need a new torch) and put it back on the bracelet mandrel and retexture it hopefully.
This is just one of many mistakes I've made the last few days. ( I wonder if Sheila Fleet went through this? )

Dennis
13-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Hi Sandra, ideally you would have used a tumbler, which is ideal for blindingly shiny on textures and wires. failing that, a soapy wet jeweller's brass brush followed bu radial disks in about three grades, brown blue and green say.

Please feel free to ask the forum because the members are full of ideas. Regards, Dennis.