PDA

View Full Version : How to Cheat.

Dennis
19-08-2013, 08:23 AM
While I was sorting out odds and ends of chain, someone said, “I’d like that for a bracelet”. So I drew down some matching wire to make a hook, et voilą. To avoid soldering I didn’t add a safety chain. We’ll find out by and by whether one is needed.

Now that I know how, I could make four or five of these within the hour. It strikes me that if I were exhibiting at a craft fair, I would put a few on show, because people might be relieved to find a more modestly priced item and buy it.

This is where conscience takes over, because my first teacher Barbara Christie, now sadly died, was totally against bought in chain and most findings. I can still hear her saying with her Dutch inflection ‘I don’t like that chain at all, you know’.

Chain: 195mm of Cooksons WVE820

Dennis.

Wallace
19-08-2013, 08:28 AM
it is gorgeous Dennis.

I love making chains, but, until recently, had little time. Maybe something to get back into.

LydiaNiz
19-08-2013, 09:39 AM
I like it - what's the link size Dennis? I only make chain if I am feeling veeeeery zen ;-)
I keep getting asked about bracelets and never making 'em. Which is daft.

susieq
19-08-2013, 03:51 PM
That's a lovely chain Dennis and I like the simple clasp you've made for it.

As far as craft fair is concerned, personally, I have no problem with it - as long as if someone asks you if you made the chain, you don't say that you did.

Really got me thinking as to how many bought components can be put together and still justifiably be called "hand made" though. After all, if I buy all the ingredients for a cake, put them together, bake them, then I have a hand made cake - but I haven't milled my own flour; grown grapes for the raisins, made my own candied peel, etc. etc., so technically its made from shop bought components which I have put together.

Why not offer bracelets made with both the shop bought chain and hand made chain? Make up a similar link bracelet from scratch but obviously priced to reflect all the extra work. That way you are simply giving potential customers a choice and your first teacher's words won't haunt you.

Susie

caroleallen
19-08-2013, 04:19 PM
I think it depends on whether you're a purist or whether you want to make money. I've had to give up a lot of my idealistic intentions recently as I've realised that the only way to make money is to churn stuff out. The secret is to churn stuff out but still charge good money for it. Today, so far, I've made 1 pendant, 2 pairs of earrings, 4 rings, 1 locket and 3 bangles. They've all just gone out in the post. I couldn't have made them if I didn't make use of casters, a laserist (?) and wholesale chains etc. I know I've sold my soul!

Dennis
19-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Thank you all for your comments and interesting discussion.

Lydia, the links are approx11.0x5.0 mm o/s diameter.

Carole, seeing your work, I know that your soul is pretty safe still. Dennis.

ShinyLauren
20-08-2013, 05:39 PM
That's a lovely bracelet Dennis, and I think the handmade clasp elevates it from being a component piece and it would still stand out as a quality piece at a craft fair.

I really struggle with the idea of making every single bit by hand. I haven't made my own chain since college, and I use casters as it would be completely impractical for me to hand make the same thing from scratch over again. Much as I'd love to do custom pieces constantly, still having an almost full time job (four days a week) means that I don't have the time to. This makes me a bit sad, but I'm liking Carole's theory of doing repeat stuff but getting paid properly for it. If jewellery is ever going to be my real job at least some of the time, this is what I need to cling to!!!

Dennis
20-08-2013, 06:43 PM
There are a lot of interesting points being raised here. Susie says that in cooking, you only assemble the ingredients, but still the skill used makes the result greater than simply the sum of the parts. Also there would be some cachet if you could say for instance, that all the vegetables came from your garden.

Carole has talked about selling your soul, but I would say you only do that if you despise what you are selling, rather like the Ratner case.

One thing which distinguishes this chain as not hand made is that if you cut through a link it falls apart because it has been minimally joined by spot welding. On the plus side it is very even in shape. Dennis.