PDA

View Full Version : copyright

carrie
16-08-2013, 07:09 AM
hi

please can you advise me regarding copyright, I am looking to make my husband some cufflinks with the batman symbol on (some men never grow up!) as these are for a gift and not for sale would this be considered an infringement of the copyright for this design/logo?, thanks.

caroleallen
16-08-2013, 07:16 AM
Hi Carrie. No I think you'd be fine making the cufflinks as long as you don't sell them.

Dennis
16-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Carole is both right and wrong. You might not be pursued for damages if you make a one off for your husband, but you are still offending against copyright law.

Look at myths here: http://www.ihaveawebsite-nowwhat.co.uk/copyright/#Copyright%20Facts%20&%20Myths.

I have also tried to post a snip if the relevant paragraph below, and hope it is legible. Dennis

Gemsetterchris
16-08-2013, 11:55 AM
I don`t think one pair is going to hurt, especially since no-one will know about it..not even me in Finland :-"

carrie
16-08-2013, 12:06 PM
thanks for your replies, dennis thanks for the link to the copyright info

pearlescence
16-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Copyright is the right to permit copies of your original work. Money doesn't come into it. So technically you would be infringing copyright.
However, I don't think the might of DC comics or the film franchise or merchandising owners will come down on your husband's cuffs.
That being said, did you see about Red Bull pursuing a micro brewery called Redwell....?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2392638/Norwich-microbrewery-employs-just-EIGHT-people-centre-David-Vs-Goliath-battle-Red-Bull-name.html

Toni
16-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Copyright is the right to permit copies of your original work. Money doesn't come into it. So technically you would be infringing copyright.
However, I don't think the might of DC comics or the film franchise or merchandising owners will come down on your husband's cuffs.
That being said, did you see about Red Bull pursuing a micro brewery called Redwell....?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2392638/Norwich-microbrewery-employs-just-EIGHT-people-centre-David-Vs-Goliath-battle-Red-Bull-name.html

that is the silliest thing I have ever heard, everyone knows red bull for what it is, your not likely to get confused...puft..."shrugs"

ps_bond
16-08-2013, 03:03 PM
As daft as a certain burger company going after a Scottish clan.

Gemsetterchris
16-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Send them a quick email of your intention, doesn't hurt & you'll probably not get a reply at all or then an all clear + the slight chance of interest which could spiral into a million $ ...make them anyway.:sly:

pearlescence
17-08-2013, 06:47 AM
I wouldn't. Some corporate lawyers justify their jobs by pouncing on stuff like this. And if you send an email and there's no reply that actually would damage your cause - since you clearly knew you were infringing and went ahead without permission anyway
To whom would you send the email in any case - who owns the symbol?

ps_bond
17-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Copyright & tradmark of DC Comics.

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p22_derivative_works

Elsewhere on that site, it says:

What if the copyright owner does not answer my request for permission or I cannot locate the copyright owner?

If this is the case you have not obtained permission and should not use the work.

And my quoting of it is covered by their paragraph:

This fact sheet is Copyright © The UK Copyright Service and protected under UK and international law.
The use of this fact sheet is covered by the conditions of a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works License.

This fact sheet is intended only as an introduction to ideas and concepts only. It should not be treated as a definitive guide, nor should it be considered to cover every area of concern, or be regarded as legal advice.

...It would be a bit much to fall foul of copyright in quoting copyright guidance!
(At least, I *think* I've managed to conform...)

pearlescence
17-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Glad they agree...I used to teach media law post grad at university