PDA

View Full Version : Metal work & pregnancy

fay144
14-08-2013, 11:29 AM
I was wondering if anyone had looked into this previously, as I can't find any info on the relevant manufacturers websites, and it's far too early in my pregnancy to say this out loud to real life people ;)

I was wondering if there was anything specific I should avoid? I use mainly auroflux, do enamelling (mainly lead free, but not all), occasionally do a bit of metal clay.

I do this part time - maybe 1 day a week at most.

I realise that I'll need to be more careful about ventilation and using a dust mask. Does anyone know if there is anything I should avoid completely? Any activities that are known to be risky?

Searching online, there are people of the opinion that "it's just not worth the risk" without any real information on what the risks are, or indeed if there are any. You could say that about anything! I'd like to make a decision on a factual basis, but I can't really find any facts about it.

Dennis
14-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Probably no one here is qualified to give you advice on this fay and if, unfortunately you did not fare well, lots of voices would be raised to find something or someone to blame.

That said, I live in Central London with higher than the maximum recommended levels of pollutants, and all over there are infants apparently thriving.

You don't appear to be working for many hours a week and you have already mentioned ventilation, which is particularly important when using heat and solvents.
I would add keeping your work space well away from food preparation, not eating or drinking there and washing your hands well when you leave it.

Who knows, you might well raise a future prime minister. Best wishes, Dennis.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Matal+Work+in+Pregnancy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp&gws_rd=cr

fay144
14-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks Dennis!

I realise that no one is in a position to say "yeah, that's fine, carry on". Just curious really, as it's an issue that must happen quite regularly in the professional jewellery world.

ps_bond
14-08-2013, 03:35 PM
It was covered a little while ago on Ganoksin, if that helps - although I'd warn that it was short on qualified medical knowledge and long on emotive responses...

caroleallen
14-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Congratulations Fay!

I don't have much to add rather than to wear a dust mask if sifting powdered enamel and never lick your fingers.

fay144
14-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks Peter and Carol.

Carol - have to admit, I do try to resist the temptation to lick my fingers regardless :D

I'll brace myself and have a search on Ganoksin, thanks.

Petal
15-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Congratulations from me too. All I would add is to remember to wash your hands after working with metal. I also wear a mask when sawing silver or copper, as I swear I get more sneezy if I don't.

fay144
18-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks Petal! I am normally guilty of neglecting this a bit, so good advice.

Having considered this, I think I'm going to finish off the bits I've been working on, but not start anything new. I've been wanting to train myself in CAD techniques for a while, so think I'll take the excuse to concentrate on that.

I suspect it will be a lot easier to fit in short bursts at my computer in the future, rather than productive time at my bench. So probably a sensible shift of focus in the short term.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.