PDA

View Full Version : Captive Glasses.

Dennis
13-08-2013, 08:29 AM
I hate and despise chains for glasses. They are fussy, unsightly and put years onto the age of the wearer, but sometimes, if glasses have to be put on and off repeatedly, it will be expedient to use one. Besides if you have a request, you are hardly going to refuse it.

The operative part is a rubber O-ring, attached to each end of the chain with small split rings. The rubber is then covered with a tightly fitting sleeve of tubing, so that the rubber loop which remains on show will grip the glasses securely. The length of chain to use will be around 50cm, but will vary according to the needs of the wearer.

For my example I have used silver Figaro chain from Cookson’s (WVF102) and 7.0mm silver split rings (NVG907X). The O-rings which I found in my local ironmonger have an inside diameter of 10.0 mm and a thickness of 2.8mm. You might also find them at plumbers’ merchants and DIY stores.

Obviously the size is not critical and only requires an adjustment to the choice of tubing. In this case I used 12.0mm long pieces of 3.45mm o/s diameter silver tubing, with all sharp edges removed. The rubber is pulled through with stout thread until just the right amount shows. Dennis

bustagasket
13-08-2013, 07:30 PM
oh Dennis, you have made a usually ugly piece of equipment into a pretty necklace! So much more attractive than the usual stuff people hold their glasses on by. The 'O' rings and tubing do the job hansomely! Well done that young man! :P

Patstone
14-08-2013, 05:33 AM
Or you could try these, I make and sell hundreds, lots of different styles available:-

Toni
14-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Or you could try these, I make and sell hundreds, lots of different styles available:-

your going to have to explain to me how that works? I don't wear glasses so not sure what that would be used for :D

Patstone
14-08-2013, 07:57 AM
The arm of the glasses goes in the loop. These are more feminine but I do heavier ones a bit more masculine for the blokes too.

Toni
14-08-2013, 03:02 PM
oh right...that makes sense, good idea :)

Dennis
14-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Thank you Su'.

Pat, It's time we started selling to opticians, don't you think?

Patstone
16-08-2013, 07:07 AM
Seems a good idea to me. I put them on a leather lace for men and a chain for women, it actually looks like a pendant when no glasses are attached, funnily enough I wear glasses intermittently but havent got one myself.

Thank you Su'.

Pat, It's time we started selling to opticians, don't you think?