PDA

View Full Version : Solder line - Silver

Toni
30-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Morning everyone

I've make a couple of silver rings now for my mum, but never for myself. So I made one last month.

the other day I took it off and noticed, that I could now see the line where I soldered... its just a slightly different shade. I've asked my mum about her rings and some have done the same thing.

The strange thing is when I sanded and polished them nothing was visible..

Does anybody know what it is, and is it possibly something I am doing wrong while making the ring...

my process, sand down the ends so that they sit flush, use flux, over the join, put the solder on the join, in this case I have all three hard medium and easy, but I know I used easy for my ring, I heat the whole ring by going round and round and round...the only thing I can think it is is that when I am finished it is rather tarnished and some times looks burnt (black) around where the flush and solder is, but it takes ages for the solder to actually melt so maybe I am heating it wrong or spending too much time in one area, or the flux...something. once cooled I put it in pickle, and leave it. then sand, and polish

I am using a hand torch which reaches 1200...this one from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools-storage-workwear/handtools/blowlamps-soldering/soldering/-specificproducttype-soldering_torches/GoSystem-Micro-Tech-Pen-Torch-Kit-11248033?skuId=11758738

any suggestions and has anyone come across this before?

Toni

Goldsmith
30-07-2013, 11:27 AM
All silver solders are silver alloyed with other metals, usually copper and zinc, so they will tarnish. Enamelling solder has the highest silver content at 81% and easy solder has a silver content of 67%. Shops that sell silver soldered jewellery sometimes silver plate their items to hide any solder line tarnishing.

If I am making a ring with a stone setting, I usually hide the shank solder join under the setting.

James

Toni
30-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Oh, well that makes sense.

Thank you again James

:)