PDA

View Full Version : Grs third hand soldering station

Jazzy
23-07-2013, 07:06 AM
H,
Would any one know where I could purchase a grs third hand solder station in the uk, i can only find suppliers in America, if any one has any grs equipment for sale I would be interested.

Thank you,

John

ps_bond
23-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Sutton tools sell it.

mizgeorge
23-07-2013, 08:54 AM
I have to confess to not being hugely impressed with mine.

ps_bond
23-07-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm the opposite (contrary, of course :) ) - I've just bought a second one. Then promptly swapped out the tips & the board, which gives me spares for the lower temperature one. Seemed to make more sense than messing around with swapping tips back & forth; I'm not entirely impressed that the GRS high-temp board doesn't clamp in though, but I think I can solve that with longer screws.

ShinyLauren
23-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Oh wow - these look amazing! *adds to list of things currently coveted*

medusa
23-07-2013, 05:16 PM
link? I could only find those regular third hand stands. Am I looking in the wrong place?

josef1
23-07-2013, 05:24 PM
http://www.grstools.com/for-jewelry-work/third-hands-and-soldering-stations/third-hand-with-soldering-station.html

mizgeorge
23-07-2013, 06:25 PM
http://www.suttontools.co.uk/double-third-hand-soldering-station.html (in the UK)

I think I don't particuarly like mine because of the clunkiness of the third hands, which are just not fine enough for most of the things I do. I end up just using a regular one. Nine times out of ten, I also end up plonking a charcoal block on top of the board as well because I need more heat and less oxygen!

ps_bond
23-07-2013, 09:12 PM
You can file the steel tips finer or make your own (they also hold cross-locking tweezers quite well). I also tend to put an older solder block on top - a vanity to extend the life of the GRS board...!
Charcoal isn't good with platinum, so that's staying away from the high-temp board.

Goldsmith
24-07-2013, 07:01 AM
H,
Would any one know where I could purchase a grs third hand solder station in the uk, i can only find suppliers in America, if any one has any grs equipment for sale I would be interested.

Thank you,

John

John, may I ask what particular soldering jobs you need this third hand soldering clamp system for? if you are trying to hold small pieces together while soldering, have you considered using home made stainless steel soldering clamps? I have posted this photo of the clamps I make and use many times, but if you have missed it in the past here is a re posting.
James

Dennis
24-07-2013, 09:42 AM
I would agree for most things James, but for those who solder lots of jump rings into chains for instance, they might prefer posh third hand, as explained here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkCT6QdIf6c.

I have never bothered, because I only make short adjustment chains for necklaces and I like to keep it quick and simple. Dennis.

Goldsmith
24-07-2013, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=Dennis;57830]I would agree for most things James, but for those who solder lots of jump rings into chains for instance, they might prefer posh third hand, as explained here:

Hi Dennis, some of the items of regalia I have made in my past were Parliamentary Doorkeepers regalia, although the crest badge was a casting, it was worn on a long handmade chain of 96 oval links made from 2mm. thick silver wire and when finished was about 48 inches long. The method of soldering the jump rings was as follows, first I would solder 48 single rings. Then I would solder the 48 soldered single rings into lengths of 3 rings. Then I would solder these lengths of 3 rings into lengths of 7 rings, and so on doubling the length of the chain pieces each time of soldering a single jumpring. I did this method using the T shaped steel clamps as they are self supporting on the solder block, in those days we altered steel cotter pins to make our solder clamps, but over the years I started using the stainless steel clamps as they didn't rust over time.

James

Dennis
24-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Yes, I do prefer your sort of clip, because cotter pins tend to mark the work. The video by Soham Harrison, (my link above) does show the chain being made with groups of jump-rings, but he uses the double-clip third hand to hold them upright and also to rest and steady his hand.

Another way to skin the rabbit, but I always find it interesting to see professionals at work. Now a video from you would be a winner. Dennis.

medusa
25-07-2013, 07:51 AM
http://www.suttontools.co.uk/double-third-hand-soldering-station.html (in the UK)

I think I don't particuarly like mine because of the clunkiness of the third hands, which are just not fine enough for most of the things I do. I end up just using a regular one. Nine times out of ten, I also end up plonking a charcoal block on top of the board as well because I need more heat and less oxygen!

cheers George. I wonder why it's not in with the other third hands?

Jazzy
25-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Hi James,
Apologies for taking so long to reply since finishing work I seem to have even less time than ever, I managed to make a couple of your clamps last night, only took a few minutes, i can see endless possibilities for these indispensable little gems,no doubt a life time of experience has gone into refining the detail.
My main interest in the GRS double third hand as Dennis righty pointed out was to solder chain cleanly and easily,I did however try your method last night (with my new clamps) with great success and have put the GRS on the back burner.

Thank you James just proves once again there is no substitute for skill and experience

To all who took the time to read/reply thank.

John

Goldsmith
25-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Hi John,
Good luck with the clamps.
I have refined a few of my clamps for specific jobs, this one I have found really useful for holding small items in place when soldering and I have also filed finer points which makes holding small chain links easier.

James

Jazzy
29-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Hi James
Have just completed the full set of your clamps, the more I see of them the more I understand their vast potential.

Thank you

John

Goldsmith
29-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Hi James
Have just completed the full set of your clamps, the more I see of them the more I understand their vast potential.

Thank you

John

It's nice to know some of my advice has been useful John. Have you seen any of my work? if not I have an album on my profile page, or you can just Google /Images my full name of "James Miller FIPG" and there are links to other albums on various forums.

Good luck with the clamps!

James

Jazzy
30-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Hi James
Looked up your album, nice, can see why your called goldsmith should be No1 goldsmith, would think there are very very few people who can work to that standard today, and very unlikely your standards will ever be equalled in the future, when you look at the tooling available to your generation (compared to todays ever expanding range) you honestly can say hand made was hand made.
I think you could be called the last true goldsmith, a book of your techniques to pass on your lifetimes knowledge and experience would be nice and I am sure would go straight to No 1in the jewellery fraternity.

I have just made my 2nd ring using your clamps when I think how I struggled/juggled and balanced and now a simple clamp not only ensures greater accuracy and control but speeds up the process dramatically (by eliminating elementary mistakes), I can't wait to try the others.

Thank you

John