PDA

View Full Version : A tiny teacup - work in progress

ShinyLauren
16-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Been crazy busy recently and keep forgetting to take pictures of new things, so thought I'd post something I've been working on.

I've been trying to practice wax carving as I really struggle with 3D and persuading the thing that I can see in my brain to come into existence.

So, I've set myself a challenge of a little series of charms to make, the first of which is a little teacup and saucer.

Work in progress so far:

ShinyLauren
16-07-2013, 08:32 PM
I also made a teeny tiny fish charm for my Godmother's birthday, as she has a sea-themed charm bracelet:

Pierced from sterling silver sheet, filed edges, engraved lines, tube set 1.5mm sapphires for eyes.

Dennis
16-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Brilliant, I like them all. Hopefully we shall get to see the cup an saucer completed. Dennis.

Tabby66
16-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Gorgeous Lauren. Exquisite work :D

medusa
17-07-2013, 02:32 PM
bravo! I'm rubbish at that kind of 3D stuff.

Kathryn Harrison
18-07-2013, 09:04 AM
That is amazing! I don't know why but tiny things are so awesome.

Petal
19-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Absolutely gorgeous Lauren and so good to see WIP pics too. Your finishing, polish and photos are FAB as usual.

willem parel
19-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Well, let me say this..... I LOVE IT !!! ;-)

ShinyLauren
19-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys!

3D stuff is really difficult for me - I just sit and stare at the wax block for ages trying to work out how to even begin.

This one I wasn't sure what I was doing about the handle, so I just left that bit as solid wax, had it cast into silver and then pierced/filed the handle directly on the silver master.

It's now been moulded and cast and I have a tiny herd of teacups and saucers.

Dennis
20-07-2013, 02:40 AM
OMG Lauren, where will you find the tiny tea bags? ;-)

Tabby66
20-07-2013, 08:52 PM

Heehee!!

JonLendrum
21-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Lovely work! Love the the look of the wax carving, how do you do go about casting them?

ShinyLauren
21-07-2013, 08:01 PM

Hahaha! I am actually going to set a stone in the top of the teacups to look like tea. Closest I can think of is smoky quartz, but that's more coffee coloured.

Any ideas for nice tea-coloured faceted gemstones?

Dennis, your tea bag comment has made me think about maybe some tiny scattered brown cz stones set into resin at the bottom of the cup - sparkly tea leaves!

ShinyLauren
21-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Lovely work! Love the the look of the wax carving, how do you do go about casting them?

I just give them to my caster! Don't have the space for casting equipment in my tiny workshop.

Wallace
21-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Hahaha! I am actually going to set a stone in the top of the teacups to look like tea. Closest I can think of is smoky quartz, but that's more coffee coloured.

Dennis, your tea bag comment has made me think about maybe some tiny scattered brown cz stones set into resin at the bottom of the cup - sparkly tea leaves!
Hi Lauren,

Such a delight to see your carving and then the casting.

Given today's experiments with infusions and herbal teas giving a variety of colours, many stones could be used. however, citrine springs to mind for a nice golden before the milk look. Or, a dark amethyst for that liquorice or black currant tea. Maybe even a peridot for some mint tea?

Goldsmith
22-07-2013, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=ShinyLauren;57767]Hahaha! I am actually going to set a stone in the top of the teacups to look like tea. Closest I can think of is smoky quartz, but that's more coffee coloured.

Check out Carnelians, if you did want the tea to look authentic then you could set a round Carnelian cab upside down in the cup, they are usually polished on the flat side and they come in various brown tea colours. There are loads offered on eBaycheck them out!

James

ShinyLauren
23-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Some good gemstone ideas - thanks!

James - I'm after something sparkly rather than authentic, but I'll have a look at the carnelian too for a different look.

Popped into Wards yesterday and they suggested champagne CZs, but he couldn't find the 6mm ones so I've stuck with the smokey quartz for now.

Discovered I was way too cautious about burring out wax for the setting and am now left with a ton of metal to get rid of on each casting before I can set the stones. Doh! At least I'll know for next time...

Petal
24-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Hi Lauren,
Looking forward to seeing which stones your choose for your cup and saucer. I love your sparkly fish and the finish is superb. My comment earlier was made in a moment of heat induced madness! :">

Kathryn Harrison
24-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys!

3D stuff is really difficult for me - I just sit and stare at the wax block for ages trying to work out how to even begin.

This one I wasn't sure what I was doing about the handle, so I just left that bit as solid wax, had it cast into silver and then pierced/filed the handle directly on the silver master.

It's now been moulded and cast and I have a tiny herd of teacups and saucers.

Very sweet!