PDA

View Full Version : How to make this PMC tube?

4ngi3
15-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know how to make the pmc tube thats in this video? The position in the video 4932at 1:41 is when they show the tube that has been cut in half and used as a bail. I've googled and can't find how to make a PMC tube so my last resort is here where I seem to always get my answer when google fails me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3WXnUyoSok

I've also added a pic of the video and circled teh tube in the corner of the image.

Wallace
15-07-2013, 03:12 PM
I don't use metal clay, but when I was using pottery clay, would often use other forms. here a small strip of clay can be formed over some kind of mandrel. A flat, rectangular piece would work to make a half circle. Try it out in paper form first. I would suggest an old round biro or even a small straw as a mandrel.

You can make each end of the half circle flat after it has dried by sanding it smooth.

caroleallen
15-07-2013, 04:06 PM
As you only need half a tube for your bail, you could just cut a strip and leave it to dry over a suitable rod. I do like that pendant BTW.

josef1
15-07-2013, 06:23 PM
I have never used metal clay but I wondered if you could possibly make it around a wax core then melt the wax away when you fire it to produce a tube as I said I dont know if this would work or just make a big mess was just intrested if anyone knew !

lorraineflee
15-07-2013, 07:15 PM
I haven't tried it but this would seem to be another way http://creativetexturetools.com/news/2007/04/15/hollow-tube-extruders/
Lorraine

4ngi3
16-07-2013, 06:57 AM
thanks for all your suggestions, I think I'll try the strip idea first and go down the list ;)

Dennis
16-07-2013, 08:06 AM
I don't do clay, but I had an idea that you could add sterling to it before firing. In any case you can certainly sweat solder on a section of tube or a jump ring afterwards. Dennis.

medusa
16-07-2013, 01:37 PM
couldn't you form it by pressing and then rolling the pmc inside a half tube shape? or maybe use a paper lolly stick and let it burn off when you fire it?