PDA

View Full Version : Pendant Motor Reviews

Lucie
14-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to replace my tired old dremel, as it's finally getting a bit too dangerous to use (it has a nasty habit of firing drill bits at me when used at high speeds & i'm slightly worried I might lose an eye)!

I've looked around at the different brands, but can't seem to find any reviews or comparisons.

I'm mostly using it for polishing and drilling and didn't want something that was going to be big & bulky to hold.

Does anyone have a favorite or one they would highly recommend?

Thanks in advance. x

caroleallen
14-07-2013, 02:18 PM
I love my Milbro with a quick change hand piece but others favour the Foredom. I've got both and prefer the Milbro.

Lucie
14-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks very much for this Carole. Is that the Milbro Pendant Drill With Slip Joint Fitting?

willem parel
14-07-2013, 03:47 PM
When itīs only for drilling and polishing you might consider this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-000-RPM-Dental-Lab-MARATHON-N8-Handpiece-SAEYANG-/110763930573?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ca0b73cd
I bought myself this type and I like the quality very much for that price.
If you you have in mind to do stone setting with it in the future it is not a pleasant tool because it starts a bit abrubt for that.
If I compare this to what I get from my local reseller this one (the N7) will cost me about 350 euro
https://webshop.bijoumoderne.nl/Websolutions/default.aspx?wsmt=wsitemdetail&itemcode=08104431&unitcode=01&cpl=1
They say it will be shipped from China but mine whas shipped from the UK, note you have to let them know how many volts you need 110 or 220.

Lucie
14-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Wow, that's a huge difference in price!! Do you know is it's compatable with all the standard "dremel type" accessories (sanding drums, drill bits, etc)?

Dennis
14-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Micro-motors are great, but maybe Willem can comment on this:

Most less expensive micro motors will only take one size of shank, 2.35mm. This is the common size for jeweller's tools, but too small for Dremel accessories.

Another problem with cheaper micro-motors is that they lack torque. This means they slow down whenever you press on them, or use a tool with a large head.
If you find this out after purchase, you have wasted an awful lot of money. As a rule of thumb a decent micro-motor will cost at least Ģ450 in the UK.

If you are not sure, take Carole's recommendation, or find reviews of the Foredom. Dennis.

willem parel
14-07-2013, 07:25 PM
This one can only take bits of 2.35 mm. like Dennis said, the common size.
It hold his power and speed reasonably, also with the larger grinding tools but yes, you can make him stop with to much pressure on the handpiece.
I have to admitt, itīs not my only tool I use for this kind of work, I also use a lot my Techdent flex shaft.

Lucie
14-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks very much for the advice Dennis & Willem. The micro motors sound ideal but I'll have to make sure their compatible with my mini drum sanders. My only concern is that I know I'm really heavy on my tools - it'd have to be up to a lot of grinding / polishing ;)

mikethejeweller
14-07-2013, 09:11 PM
I did have a Dremel but 2 years ago I bought the foredom with quick change, much more speed control when drilling I use it for polishing and setting (drilling). I would never go back to a Dremel, I have heard a micromotor are better but as stated unless your prepared to spend Ģ500 plus you won't get a decent one, iv been told to stay away from the Chinese versions. I have also got a grs gravermach at and you can get a rotary hand piece for this but again very expensive and have been told not as good as a micromotor. This is what i have its brill http://www.suttontools.co.uk/power-tools/pendant-motors/foredom-sr-series-pendant-motor-complete-kit.html

Lucie
14-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks Mike. This is the one I was originally looking at (before finding the other brands & getting confused). Have to agree with you about Dremel. They really seem to have gone downhill. I have friends with archaic ones. Mine is only a few years old but has become pretty dangerous to use!

Patstone
15-07-2013, 05:28 AM
I have the same one Mike, and I find it serves all my jewellery making needs, the only thing I found with the quick release handpiece was that if the drill was trying to go through something a bit thicker and got stuck it would spin in the chuck. You can alter it a bit but it wasnt enough to make a difference. I wrote to Foredom in the USA and they send me a handpiece with an openable chuck, like a drill chuck, which solved the problem, and they didnt charge me for it which was a bonus.

Wallace
15-07-2013, 03:27 PM
I have a micro motor. I love it. As Dennis points out, there is a torque issue. But I don't have a problem getting a graver or file out where needed. It recently had a problem. The hand unit has it's own motor and this decided to do some silly things and behave oddly. Fortunately, Foredom have a robust 2year warranty against issues. mine was a few days inside of this and was replaced without any quibbles by the very nice and most excellent business that is run by the very lovely couple at http://www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?cPath=94 (maybe a recently discussed online reseller could ask these wonderful people how great customer service should be done).

I jest not, my piece was replaced and I was back in the seat within 2 days.

I do have a foredom pendant drill, but it is a pain to use as it aggravates my long standing neck injury, oh and has some noise issues that scared the whiskers off the cat. The micro motor works silently and superbly. As I said, I love it.

Gemsetterchris
15-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Woodworkscraftsupplies..yes, they are excellent at customer service.
I've used a foredom micromotor for years, I just buy an extra handpiece now & again for spare.
Try & avoid cheap Chinese stuff, they won't last..buy once but well.

Lucie
16-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Can I just ask; what sort of pressure would you have to put on it before it became a problem?

Gemsetterchris
16-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Not much..It's not really a problem as such, you just get used to being less ham fisted.
If your planning to do a lot of hard polishing,get a small polishing motor built for that job.

ShinyLauren
16-07-2013, 06:38 PM
I am massively ham fisted so think I'm going to go for a Foredom rather than micrometer.

I currently have one of these: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-heavy-duty-flexible-drive-unit-prod20091/ as it was all I could afford when I started up, but having used my stone setting tutor's Foredom, I can now see just how very not straight mine spins things!

Lucie
17-07-2013, 12:34 PM
He he, glad i'm not the only one Lauren :) I have a huge old AC motor and a bench grinder which are great for the really heavy duty stuff, but I use my old dremel for everything else, especially detail polishing. I also use quite a few "non-standard" dremel bits, so think that maybe the Fordom is the way to go.
Thanks again :) xxx

mikethejeweller
17-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Gemsetter kris what would you say was the benefit of a micromotor over a fordom pendant drill for setting (drilling/machining)? I currently have the foredom SR series with quick change and am quite happy with it although it only takes the 2.35mm burs.

ps_bond
17-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Not Kris, but I like the improved dexterity (no drag from the flex shaft) and the control - being able to dial in a max speed & have the unit consistently do that is very useful in burr control.

Gemsetterchris
17-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Like Peter said, plus the quietness.
It's abit like comparing two cars, both get you there, but one is a nicer drive.
Besides, I had a pendant motor drop down, just missing my head which put me off abit :)

mikethejeweller
18-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Peter, just out of curiosity who do you use for your precious stones supplier? I use a.e ward for everything except diamond and find them very convenient, just lift up the phone tell them what you need and 9 times out of 10 they have it, prices seem good, used to use Manchester minerals (Hilton bros) but found the quality and the fact you had to look up the order codes a hassle. Just asking as always looking for good cheap suppliers. We use Henig for diamonds.

ps_bond
18-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Wards for most of it, Marcia Lanyon occasionally (usually browsing at one of their visits), R M Weare for the bits of carbon (well, the mined ones anyway - lab grown is another source, not quite up & running fully yet). Henig look worthwhile, I might have a chat with them.
Manchester Minerals I only really use for cabs and not that often at that.

Eveness
03-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I am a complete newbie to this site (and with only a small amount of silver jewellery experience under my belt) and so I have been searching the forum for some guidance on pendant motors. This and other threads have been very useful but still I have not come to a firm conclusion.

I am looking to invest in a good pendant motor that wont burn out quickly, gives me a professional finish and that I wont outgrow too quickly (I will use it for drilling, polishing...all the normal stuff but I also plan to start gem setting in the not too distant future). That said, I am still a beginner and so top of the range all singing all dancing might be an expensive overspend that is not necessary for me (I saw some reference to micro motors but they seem a fair bit more expensive and the question is, would I ever need something like that? I don't have a clue!).

I also phoned up Cooksons as well as Suttons tools to get their thoughts and recommendations....one recommended the Milbro Pendant Drill With Slip Joint Fitting, 18,000 Rpm, Plastic Foot Control & Hanger and the other one recommended the Foredom SR with slip joint 1/6 horsepower.

It's a big decision, so how I would really appreciate your pearls of wisdom to help me understand which two might be the right one for me (or if in fact there is another I should consider)?

What would you say are the pro's vs. con's for either make/model?

Is one easier to use than the other, better accessories, more reliable, better overall life-span?

Any advice you can share is gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Eve

Tabby66
03-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Hi Eve,

If you're going to be giving the motor heavy usage, I would go for a milibro, when my foredom gives up, that is what I shall change it for. Not I hasten to add that I have any complaints about my foredom, I have had it for about 5 years, having started this as a hobby a couple of years before. It is more that my usage on a day to day basis has increased significantly and I think that milibro along with a couple of other makes will be more suitable to my long term needs.

In terms of accessories, you cannot beat foredom........they have everything!!!! ;)

Do say if you invest in a foredom, if you are thinking of purchasing any accessories, I may have some available,......

Best wishes,
Tabby xx

Nick martin
04-01-2014, 01:39 PM
I just purchased a Fordem SR pendant drill from Sutton tools, and I think it's fantastic. More than enough for my needs and the range of accessories like has been said is excellent too.

I haven't got a vast amount of experience myself, however my skill level is developing on a monthly basis so that's why I upgraded. Prior to this purchase I was using a Dremel with a flex shaft attachment, but there was obviously no foot control, or enough torque available.

As far as I could tell and excluding micromotors, the only other alternatives were the Millbro as mentioned previously or the Dremel Fortiflex which is the cheapest out of all three I believe?

Nick

Patstone
04-01-2014, 02:16 PM
I have a Foredom (also from Suttons), so has my daughter. Very good machines, but I make jewellery for a hobby, so it doesn't have a lot of use.

Dennis
04-01-2014, 04:00 PM
I just purchased a Fordom. As far as I could tell and excluding micromotors, the only other alternatives were the Millbro as mentioned previously or the Dremel Fortiflex which is the cheapest out of all three I believe?Nick

Tasha of Truffle and Podge just bought a Seco.

LydiaNiz
04-01-2014, 04:24 PM
I really must get one of these, and soon. I need more oomph than my dremel, and the safety thing is really a worry for me (the lack of foot control).

Truffle & Podge
05-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Tasha of Truffle and Podge just bought a Seco.

Yup i did :D need to have a proper play when i get my bench back up later after taking the tree down but walshes set it up for me in the showrrom so i could test it out. I must admit i prefered it to the foredom i tried in suttons, the pedal had a nice bite, if you know what i mean by this, i studied fashion so as i am used to using a sewing machine a lot this was an important part for me it gives you control, it's a bit like using an industrial sewing machine, some zip away from you untill you learn the right control and some just respond like a dream. I also tried the top of the range milbro at walshes, way way out of my price range and that felt incredible you could definateley feel the quality. Walshes have discontinued the seco which is why i got such a good deal but they will continue to stock spares etc. I had the last one from brum but a trip to hatton garden might be a good idea, i felt good buying from them, they were very very helpful and seemed to take customer satisfaction seriously unlike a certain company that has recently become just a web presence. Have to say i was very cheeky, told them what my budget was, what i needed, that i had killed my flexishaft and it was my birthday and i was stuck till i got a motor. Came away with my seco and a personal contact for any problems or future add ons, a huge bucket of safety pickle, a load of mop heads and a bar of super lustre luxi (which is ace!) these bits were all free :D Glad i took the advice to make the trip to the showrooms

Eveness
05-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Great advice guys thank you!

I think that because i am still just doing it as a hobby, the extra expense of the Milbro isn't really justified in my case.

The Foredom SR does sound like a good choice so that is really encouraging to hear.

First time I have heard about the Seco. I might need to look into that one! Like you did Tasha, it might be worth me seeing if I can test them out to get a feel for which one works for me.

I can get to Walshes in London to check the Seco. Does anyone know a stockist in London might have the Foredom SR that I could try out?

Eve

Truffle & Podge
05-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Might be worth phoning walshes hatton garden to see if they have any left if you are making a special trip and they don't it would be disappointing as hatton gardens is londons jewellery quarter i'm sure there will be other tool suppliers there, must admit it is difficult to pin down a list of suppliers in either birmingham or london as web information seems to be directed towards people wanting to buy ready made jewellery. Hmmmmmm maybe a call to the london school of jewellery would be beneficial? they must be able to direct students to suppliers. Good luck :D

Tabby66
05-01-2014, 09:42 PM
There are a number of tool suppliers in Birmingham, some you need to open a trade account with and some also offer student or membership of organisation discounts (such as GOJD, ACJ, BJA), in terms of suppliers in Birmingham, (off the top of my head), there are....Cookies (obviously), Betts, Suttons, Walshes, Euromounts & Findings,.....I am sure many of them will be very helpful!!

Eveness
06-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, I will make a few calls today.

Eve x

Truffle & Podge
06-01-2014, 03:20 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SECO-PENDANT-FLEXIBLE-DRIVE-DRILL-240v-JEWELLERS-TOOL-/131082894828?pt=UK_Crafts_JewelleryMaking_GL&hash=item1e85263dec dunno if this will help anyone? it's not me i just saw it.

Dennis
06-01-2014, 06:26 PM
When they say 'you need to buy a collet to fit', do they mean a whole handpiece?

Truffle & Podge
06-01-2014, 06:31 PM
No idea Dennis, my guess would be they mean a collet nut which wouldn't be hard, there's a message thingy to ask the buyer questions though so that might be a good thing to ask, like i said i was browising and came across it don't know the person selling it :D

ShinyLauren
08-01-2014, 06:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Walsh don't sell the Foredom pendant drills.

I started off with Dremel flex shaft, moved on to cheapy Axminster pendant drill (served me well for two years and is still happily whizzing away - am keeping it as a spare for when I eventually get my garden workshop) then got a Foredom SR with No.30 handpiece and also a different handpiece with a bigger collet. Really liking the Foredom, it's way smoother and quieter than the Axminster, and I also bought a drill press attachment to go with it, which is bloody marvellous!

LydiaNiz
08-01-2014, 08:34 PM
It looks like I'm getting myself one for my birthday (turn 40 at the start of next month, so something good may as well come out of it.)
I am really wondering what the Dremel fortiflex is like (I am soppy for my current old dremel) and have seen it for Ģ240 (http://www.tool-shop.co.uk/Dremel/Tools/Benchtop/Dremel/8710364046935/9100+Fortiflex+with+Foot+Switch.html), or should I go for this foredom kit (?: https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/foredom-pendant-drill-motors/pendant-motor-jewellers-kit-with-quick-release-handpiece) One of my bugbears is changing accessories quickly, and I love my multichuck on my current dremel, otherwise I'm easy. Ohhhh decisions. I've re-read back and seen Cousins may not be number one choice...

Truffle & Podge
09-01-2014, 05:43 AM
It looks like I'm getting myself one for my birthday (turn 40 at the start of next month, so something good may as well come out of it.)
I am really wondering what the Dremel fortiflex is like (I am soppy for my current old dremel) and have seen it for Ģ240 (http://www.tool-shop.co.uk/Dremel/Tools/Benchtop/Dremel/8710364046935/9100+Fortiflex+with+Foot+Switch.html), or should I go for this foredom kit (?: https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/foredom-pendant-drill-motors/pendant-motor-jewellers-kit-with-quick-release-handpiece) One of my bugbears is changing accessories quickly, and I love my multichuck on my current dremel, otherwise I'm easy. Ohhhh decisions. I've re-read back and seen Cousins may not be number one choice...
If you can wrangle it as it's your 40th go for a milbro, honestly it was like playing an instrument from heaven, i saw the dremel and the footpedal etc looked so cheap and undependable. Definately go and try them out if you can or at least see them in the flesh i am so glad i did i feel like my bargain buy was a throughbred right from the off, compared to others i saw inc the foredom. I would not trust the other c company (not you cookies) they have recently withdrawn from actual showrooms to an online presence only and in a short visit to the jewellery hub of brum i heard horror stories about them from a fair few different sources. As this is a mchine which will be worn down into the ground i would really recommend buying from a place that makes you feeel really comfortable about purchasing from them.
Happy birthday in advance i'm not far behind you hun lol xxxx

LydiaNiz
09-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Don't think pennies will go as far as a Milbro sadly. Where would folks recommend purchasing a foredom from please? Want to avoid any nightmares! :-)

Wallace
09-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Because of the excellent customer service offered by Foredom it really doesn't matter where it would come from. I would, in preference use The well known relative.

mizgeorge
09-01-2014, 11:15 AM
I was just about to say the same thing. Cousins are usually significantly cheaper than anyone else, and Foredom's service is so good that the actual reseller is almost irrelevant.