PDA

View Full Version : Dress shirt studs

Didi
12-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Help please! I have been asked to make some dress shirt studs and I'm flummoxed!
I have absolutely no idea how to do the backs. I have surreptitiously checked out studs in shops and they all have screw backs. I can't find any of these as silver findings. The only ones I have found are 'popgun' studs from Otto Frei. Does any one here have some brilliant insight that could help me?
With hopeful thanks
Didi

Dennis
13-07-2013, 04:19 AM
Hi Didi,

There is no need to think up anything fancy, because no one wants to faff about with fiddly bits when getting dressed. If you take your cue from the basic stud provided with a new shirt, or even look at a set in Moss Bros, you will see that they consist of a short rod or tube, with a small disk at the front and a larger disk at the back.

The small disk might have a tube set stone, or a metal ball. It can otherwise be left plain, or have a jump-ring to thicken the edge, or even a twisted wire decoration. Dennis.

Didi
13-07-2013, 07:08 AM
I saw that, but those actually screw together and I thought you had to get the 2 bits apart to fit them. Do dress shirts have double button holes then?
Discracefully revealing my lack of fine dining experiences here!
Didi

medusa
13-07-2013, 09:52 AM
I saw that, but those actually screw together and I thought you had to get the 2 bits apart to fit them. Do dress shirts have double button holes then?
Discracefully revealing my lack of fine dining experiences here!
Didi

normally yes, dress shirts are designed for studs and like Dennis says, usually two disks connected by a rod, they just push through. There are other versions though like these:
http://products.jewelbasket.com/studs_14k_white_gold_heavyweight_mother_of_pearl_s hirt_studs_3_8_wide_109143320.php

I've seen some antique ones that have a bit of a hinge thing going on. Antique ones also had kind of linked backs as well

How fab to get a commission like that.

Didi
13-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Its an interesting one. I made these cufflinks for an Army Captain and he wants matching studs.
These are his own bullet casings.
I think I'm going to make them fixed and not worry about screws and things.
Medusa those ones are fabulous, as usual, not sure I'm up to that standard.
Didi

Dennis
13-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Those are more after my own heart: simple to put on and I notice that the captain has fired them, at the Enemy, I presume.

The saying goes: 'Join the army, meet interesting people... and kill them.' Dennis.

Didi
13-07-2013, 08:48 PM
I believe it was target practice. I'd find it hard to deal with the alternative. Love yours, they are more my style if I'm truthful.
Didi

ps_bond
13-07-2013, 09:01 PM
If it helps, that isn't a UK military calibre.

Kathryn Harrison
14-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Wow those are super cool! I also hadn't heard of shirt studs...

medusa
14-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Its an interesting one. I made these cufflinks for an Army Captain and he wants matching studs.
These are his own bullet casings.
I think I'm going to make them fixed and not worry about screws and things.
Medusa those ones are fabulous, as usual, not sure I'm up to that standard.
Didi

it was just to show that they don't need to have disk backs but can have rod backs.