PDA

View Full Version : Packaging material query.

Somersetmaker
11-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Hi there. I received a couple of bottles of 'hazardous' stuff from you recently. They came packaged very well but I now have a box of some stuff that looking like Vermiculite that I don't know what to do with.

Can I use it with my pot-plants, compost it or have you really sent me a box of stuff to go to landfill?

caroleallen
11-07-2013, 03:13 PM
I was wondering about that stuff too Pru. Mine just went into the rubbish bin.

Somersetmaker
12-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Still wondering. As Cooksons is promoting 'eco-metals' a logical approach seems to me to have eco-packaging too.
Maybe I'm just naive but at least I'm hopeful!

t1ggerk1ns
12-07-2013, 10:36 AM
I try to recycle as much as I can, and have not been happy with the fact that their current design of grip seal poly bags, which I seem to end up with dozens of on every order, are currently emblazened with their company details etc, making their re-use limited.
Am seriously considering taking a load back to them next time I an there.

Somersetmaker
12-07-2013, 10:55 AM
I entirely agree about the bags. We all have the Cooksons details on the labels so it's a waste of money to make things less useable.

Lose / lose?

Somersetmaker
05-08-2013, 05:35 PM
No reply then Customer Service???

I just need to know how to dispose of this unknown material responsibly.

mizgeorge
05-08-2013, 07:25 PM
I try to recycle as much as I can, and have not been happy with the fact that their current design of grip seal poly bags, which I seem to end up with dozens of on every order, are currently emblazened with their company details etc, making their re-use limited.
Am seriously considering taking a load back to them next time I an there.

So agree on this one - we've also lost the write on strips (which made it easy to identify the contents with big writing) in the process.

I'd also add a plea to stop folding the bags and putting the sticky label over the edge. Removing it almost inevitably destroys the label, which is sometimes the only way of telling different types of wire (for example) apart.

Somersetmaker
06-08-2013, 02:07 PM
I find it really baffling that Cookson's customer service won't reply to this thread. Not even an anodyne comment . . . for four weeks!!

Rob Taylor
06-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Please accept our apologies, I don't know how or why we missed this thread (Gremlins? Pimms?)

The mysterious packaging material is indeed vermiculite and was introduced at the recommendation of our couriers to absorb potential spills and leaks. We are told by our supplier that it can indeed be used as part of potting compost for plants. I shall follow up your polybag comments, once I have an answer tomorrow

Regards

Rob

Somersetmaker
06-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Many thanks Rob! I'm glad I didn't chuck it out now!

. . and you can get back to the Pimms now ;)

Rob Taylor
08-08-2013, 07:51 AM
With regards to our polybags, we took the opportunity recently to brand them Cookson, I appreciate you probably don't want to reuse them with our name on them but it is part of our marketing strategy to promote our brand. The current bags can be recycled but aren't made from recycled plastic so we're negotiating that with our supplier currently. We do take on board you would like the return of the write-on white strip and we can do that at the next revision (haven't got a date yet, sorry). I've passed on your comments about the sticky labels to our logistics manager.

regards

Rob

Wallace
08-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the info Rob.

Could I ask that in general, you cut down on the use of poly bags? As Cookies is promoting a recycling policy (eco silver comes to mind) it would be good if more recycled materials could be used, where possible. I really don't mind less poly bags. I have so many of them from over the years. The amount is almost excessive; for example one drill it gets one bag, because the label needs to go on it. Smaller peelable labels would be good.... Whilst you are looking at things.

Only my opinion, I know, but overtime; the reduction in cost of posting out will surely make a difference. Could recycled paper bags be used? We have a facility for recycling paper, the government targets support the recycling and of course attracts potential areas of added value to an award winning company.

Rob Taylor
08-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I agree with your statements and we will try to implement as much as possible

Rob

Wallace
08-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I agree with your statements and we will try to implement as much as possible

Rob

thank you Rob,

look forward to the changes.

Somersetmaker
19-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks for taking this on board Rob.

I don't get the marketing strategy reason for spending money on printing bags. Surely by definition you only get a printed bag if you bought things from Cooksons so you probably have the contact info. And quite possibly when re-using bags most of us do not want to pass on to customers which suppliers we use. It seems to me like the marketing dept have gone a bit OTT and are happy to overrule the makers' need to see through and re-use the bag. Why not save the money and give it to a charity if you have plenty to spare for such silly extras?

I agree that minimising plastic bags is a good thing - or maybe visit the plastic island in the Pacific for re-education!!

Biodegradable or at least recyclable bags should have been the norm LONG ago.

Low tac labels would be brilliant. I'd even cope with you sticking over the 'zipper' end if I could get the stupid things off and thereby have the info whilst I need it and a re-usable bag after that.

Basically all this seems to point to a lack of policy on use of eco-friendly products, barring your much-publicised eco metals. Come on Cooksons - this isn't good enough these days. It does seem to me that the eco metals were only as a result of your customers pushing you into it. Now I for one would like you to implement eco-friendly policies to all your packaging and through as many of your products as is possible.

You know it makes sense! :)

Gemsetterchris
19-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Last time I ordered some black knife edge abrasive wheels complete with correct label, inside the bag were pink flat edge..how about that :what:

Rob Taylor
20-08-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry about that, clearly human error on our part, did it get sorted to your satisfaction?

Rob

Gemsetterchris
20-08-2013, 09:37 AM
To be honest I couldn't be bothered to waste time over it, these things happen I guess.

Rob Taylor
20-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Hi thanks for the response, we didn't pay extra for the printing so it was something we took the opportunity to do (we weren't offered a discount as an alternative, so it's not money we can free up).

As previously mentioned our bags are recyclable and have been for years, our next move is to recycled plastic.

It's a good idea about low tack labels and I'll pass that onto our buyers

With regards to our eco-policy, we are on a journey here to improve our footprint and the impact we have on our environment. This process includes energy efficiency and waste recycling in addition to the products and consumables we sell.

We continue to strive to be greener and I do genuinely feel we are aiming at the same goals.

rgds Rob

Rob Taylor
20-08-2013, 10:56 AM
To be honest I couldn't be bothered to waste time over it, these things happen I guess.

Thanks for your understanding, I've sent you an email

rgds Rob

Wallace
20-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi thanks for the response, we didn't pay extra for the printing so it was something we took the opportunity to do (we weren't offered a discount as an alternative, so it's not money we can free up).

As previously mentioned our bags are recyclable and have been for years, our next move is to recycled plastic.

It's a good idea about low tack labels and I'll pass that onto our buyers

With regards to our eco-policy, we are on a journey here to improve our footprint and the impact we have on our environment. This process includes energy efficiency and waste recycling in addition to the products and consumables we sell.

We continue to strive to be greener and I do genuinely feel we are aiming at the same goals.

rgds Rob

Most plastic is recyclable in one way or another, it depends on the person using it, so that comment is a bit misleading. In December 2013, there will be clearer legislation around this. The UK Government has already put a huge focus on this and for the last ten years, most local auth have been working towards reducing waste. I re use the bags that come with my orders where I can. I am not overly bothered by the logo, that is your policy and right to do that. My concern is the amount of bags to come in one order. For two items, I can receive three bags and the envelope. That, is not reducing anyone's footprint or waste.

I really don't need that many. Over the years, having made many purchases from Cookson's, I have acquired hundreds of bags. Economically speaking, it is not. I have taken what I cannot use to a recycling facility enroute to other places.

Hiding behind the use of recycling, isn't enough or proactive for such an award winning company. Not meaning to push this further, but as business, I have a responsibility of upholding the current legilation and directives too. This falls into proactively encouraging less waste at all levels. Plastics save trees, but ironically can destroy the environment. There are animals that get snared up in them, or caught in them and they may become harmed as a result. Cookson's should be a leading force on this issue, rather than what comes across as dismissive or diminutive.

I understand my comments are more direct than usual, but this is a serious point. No offence intended, just a critical response about an earlier point.

medusa
20-08-2013, 05:17 PM
I agree that minimising plastic bags is a good thing - or maybe visit the plastic island in the Pacific for re-education!!

This.

I really don't see why every single thing has to go in its own special little bag. I'm pretty sure most stuff, small gemstones excepted, could just be chucked into a jiffy bag or cardboard box (made from recycled). Last order I had, I had about 2 cubic feet of packaging for just over a handful of stuff.

Somersetmaker
18-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Further to this does Cooksons have a 'reduce use of plastic and other non-recyclable packaging' policy or could you possibly lead the way in this please?