PDA

View Full Version : Diamond setter Berlin DVD advice

mikethejeweller
08-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Has any one bought one of the 3 DVDs by Vitalij Kricuk? they are €199 each so quite expensive, im mostly interested in Pave/bead style setting, do you think they are worth the money and if someone has the 3, which one covers pave/bead style setting the most, I have Diamond Setting Bead & Bright cut setting DVD by Don Glaser and the Up-Close dvd by sam alfano which are both good but the clips on you tube of the Vitalij Kricuk look far supperior and also go into tool modification etc, If anyone has any info or thoughts on these DVDs i would be glad to hear them cheers.

jeffsjrc live co uk

Gemsetterchris
09-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Apparently there is no vocal speech only background music..so basically it`s a case of watch & copy.
You can do that much with viewing the clips rather than paying out..actually i was looking to buy them myself a while ago for the fun of it..but got no response via email..
I think you can get the idea easy enough anyway, it`s just takes abit
of practice like anything else..there's no magic wand available.
As for tools, you use abit of imagination & change things if you think you can to work better for what you want to achieve.
Old grain tools being one of the best sources of "custom tool" blanks.

ps_bond
09-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Just watched the 3 advert clips; there's a lot in them. Is that a Jura ring mandrel he's using?

Gemsetterchris
09-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Just watched the 3 advert clips; there's a lot in them. Is that a Jura ring mandrel he's using?

Might be. Like I said, when you boil it all down there is nothing "magic",
It's all theory & practice, practice...
Same with engraving..design/cut ..
Some get the knack better than others, but so long as you know what you are trying to do, that helps.

Goldsmith
09-07-2013, 11:46 AM
You might like to check out the Goldsmiths Company Masterclass DVDs, they are only £15 each and there is an introduction to diamond setting one available, this is the description of the craftsman shown on this DVD.
David Basford worked as a setter for English Artworks and is a true master of his craft. In this training film, he explains the key principles and demonstrates the main techniques of this highly skilled profession.

For those who don't know, English Artworks is the London workshop of Cartier.

See;http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/library/technical-library/masterclass-dvds/

James

mikethejeweller
09-07-2013, 02:57 PM
4928 Iv read loads of books and watched DVD but I suppose you can't beat hands on experience, the trouble I find with the books and DVD iv had so far is that there is a few different methods of achieving the same goal. I was just hoping to find someone fairly local where I could go for a day or 2 just to refine my skills

Wallace
09-07-2013, 03:37 PM
You could try

http://www.whitneyjewelleryschool.co.uk/diamond.html

mikethejeweller
09-07-2013, 05:05 PM
I did look at the website yesterday, not many photographs of his pave/bead setting on there and was wondering how good he is. Has anyone tried his setting course or can vouch for his setting skills, its just that I did a day course with a jeweller before and his skill level was not much better than what I was already capable of.
I have just ordered Alexander Sidorovs picture book and a few new tools from him and I'm going to carry on practising until I can find a good Gem setter who's willing to take me under his wing for a day or 2. I would love to go to Alexander's school of jewellery for his 5 day course but its finding the time off work and I think its around €1800 and times are hard goldsmiths :)

Gemsetterchris
10-07-2013, 11:01 AM
4928 Iv read loads of books and watched DVD but I suppose you can't beat hands on experience, the trouble I find with the books and DVD iv had so far is that there is a few different methods of achieving the same goal. I was just hoping to find someone fairly local where I could go for a day or 2 just to refine my skills

There is a few ways, you just need to figure what works best for you..that means trying to learn the pro`s & con´s of all methods & doing what works for you for a particular job.
Sometimes you can spend all day, sometimes you need to do a budget version.
your picture is abit difficult to see everything..but you have some neat stuff there, plus a few bits i can`t make out.

getting the "grains" lined up symmetrically helps by making marks with a tool or fine pen upfront, or by doing all the cutting /drilling first.
You can do a neat job either way.
I`m sure you`ll get that bit of extra help sooner or later, your well on your way by the look of it which is great.

ShinyLauren
11-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Mike, I did three days with Guy Whitney and I think he's a great teacher. Not sure why there's no pics of his pave on the website, he showed me loads of pictures whilst I was there.

Obviously I'm a beginner stone setter so pretty much everything he did looked awesome to me, but he's a really nice guy - I'm sure if you emailed him and asked for some example pics of his pave, or just ask if he thinks he'd be the right tutor for you, I'm sure he'd be able to help.

mikethejeweller
11-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks lauren, I think I might drop him a line and have a chat to see what he thinks.

Wallace
08-08-2013, 11:49 AM
A little bit of feedback from having attended the Whitney School of Jewellery, taught by Guy Whitney.

This was my first effort in a square setting - I used a notch approach, which as I see a recent post has suggested this may not be the best (I have little experience of anything other than round or oval and cushion trillions - so this was really an exciting concept and approach for me) I got square corners and managed to work out so many aspects to this setting. It is all my design and some shared work on the setting, but I am very pleased with it.

The claw setting was interesting, I have only stuck to regular shapes which have a guaranteed edge to work on to ensure it sits in a seat well. This central aquamarine stone has been sat goading me for a little while. I like this setting, the prongs are set through the metal. I don't have problems with flush or tube (even making a tube from round wire) and so added some finishing embellishments to the claw design. This was in the form of melee diamonds at the top of the prongs. It may have been better to go with a coloured one, but I didn't have any to hand in that size! lol

Would I go again? Definitely. I have learned so much from forums, books, practice and the like, but being tutored on a 1:2 ratio was fantastic. He can take it back to basics or go into advanced levels.

after the course.... I have managed to keep the information and apply it... and have more faith in different levels of designs hopefully.

Dennis
08-08-2013, 03:08 PM
The square setting and groovy shank are pretty special Wallace.

mizgeorge
08-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Fab stuff Wallace. Just fab. I'm just going to come and have a lesson with you ;)

Wallace
08-08-2013, 06:56 PM
The square setting and groovy shank are pretty special Wallace.
thank you Dennis :D

Fab stuff Wallace. Just fab. I'm just going to come and have a lesson with you ;) - Thank you my lovely, you know where I am ;) x

mikethejeweller
31-08-2013, 04:29 PM
That's really nice work:)

Tabby66
31-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Wow Wallace!! Those are fab settings and I agree with Dennis the square setting and ring are something rather special!! Keep at it ;D

Wallace
01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
That's really nice work:)
thank you Mike - I have learned so much since my Tony Tigg days.. still loads to go, but now I have time to do the practice as I am fully self employed.

Wow Wallace!! Those are fab settings and I agree with Dennis the square setting and ring are something rather special!! Keep at it ;D

thank you so much Jill, I did enjoy making these and have taken some older work to task and revisited how I have done their mounts. I liked that stippling effect and have used it a couple of times now, makes a difference to my highly polished finishes.