PDA

View Full Version : uk stone setters

mikethejeweller
07-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi, i a am a goldsmith with 15 years experience, Around 2 years ago I started to self teach myself stone setting by the use of books and DVDs. I am quite happy with my progress, but I would like to spend a day maybe 2 in the company of a professional just to perfect my technique in pave style setting, although I can do it I am still not 100% happy.
I will mainly be setting diamonds into the shoulders of engagment rings and wedding/eternity bands.
I was just wondering if anyone would give up a day (I will pay For the days tuition) just to help me perfect this aspect of my setting that is located in the Uk ( I am from South Wales). Also can anyone recomend the DVDs from Stonesetter Berlin? or wish to sell their copy?
thanks

Gemsetterchris
08-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Hi Mike, I'd help but I'm abit far away at the moment..if you can't find anyone I can try via email for starters.
Once you have the theory of what/how..It's just a case of practice & refining tools to suit..so get some practice rings ready & ask away if there is a specific area you want to improve.

mikethejeweller
08-07-2013, 01:44 PM
thanks much appreciated

ShinyLauren
08-07-2013, 06:57 PM
I recently had three days stone setting tuition with a goldsmith named Guy Whitney if you want to check him out. His pave was awesome and I'd recommend him as a teacher, but as a stone setting beginner I couldn't quite get the hang of the pave. Everything else he taught me, however, was a total stone setting game changer!

Gemsetterchris
09-07-2013, 09:18 AM
The main thing that messes up neat pave is burrs, caused by excess metal..this is where getting your "bead raiser" & "grain tool" to work together matters.
Rounding off grains (or sometimes called beads) should be a delicate job..It's often too much power & a blunt or wrong size tool that causes problem along with squashing beads too much between stones & the tool steel.
If you polish up the tools abit, you minimize the need to polish & deform your work.