PDA

View Full Version : Silver ring made of sheet - how thin?

bob flemming
05-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Hello,

I have designed a ring made of a single long, narrow piece of silver sheet. The design necessitates the silver to be relatively thin so it can scored, filed and bent. I made a test ring out of 0.3mm brass sheet, and whilst the design works and is comfortable, the material was much too thin for the shank of the ring which is now bent and dented after just one afternoon of wear.

So my question is: how thin can silver sheet go to make a practical ring shank? I need to strike a balance between thinness for the sharp edges the design requires, and strength for the shank. If all else fails I could, of course, change the design slightly and create the shank from a thicker piece of sheet (in which case, 1mm?) and use the thinner sheet for the top.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bob

Dennis
05-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Well I can't visualise what you are making Bob But apart from strength, the edges also need to be kind to fingers and have a substantial look. So Iwould say 0.8mm is the thinnest. Even then I would add a thicker border, say with wire rings.

It is also possible that what you want to achieve can be approached in a different way. Dennis.

bob flemming
05-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks Dennis. I will experiment with 0.8mm sheet and then work upwards as necessary.

I will upload a picture of the test ring when I work out how to do it (later today hopefully, should be working right now).

Tabby66
05-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Bob,
A bit in the dark here, like Dennis, but I'd plump for 1mm sheet to start working with as a minimum for a shank.
Tabby x