PDA

View Full Version : Designing a Crown that Adjusts

mari eluned
04-07-2013, 08:24 PM
I have been commissioned to design a crown and it needs to be able to adjust to fit whoever wins the crown, any suggestions how to go about this? The Crown will be made out of sheet silver. Thanks in advance for your help :)

ps_bond
04-07-2013, 08:48 PM
I suppose wood screws would be frowned upon?

Factious comments aside, can your crown have a fabric band in it that can be adjusted or swapped for a more padded band?

mari eluned
04-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Yes, I don't see why not...... I would like to keep the 'fluidity' of the crown to flow all the way round, so this method could be an option? What would be the best way to attach fabric to metal, little hooks maybe to thread through?

medusa
04-07-2013, 09:01 PM
glue velcro to the inside.

mari eluned
04-07-2013, 09:05 PM
would you use elastic or some kind of 'shoe lace' idea to make the band adjust?

mizgeorge
04-07-2013, 09:31 PM
traditional velvet lining with a pocket, just increase or reduce the amount of wadding to adjust the size.

SteveLAO
05-07-2013, 07:17 AM
The royal crowns are constructed from an oversized frame which is then padded inside with velvet trimmed with ermine. The material is stitched to the frame, and the amount of material is governed by the head size. That's the traditional way.
However I've also seen "modern" versions which are made in two halves. Imagine splitting the crown in two vertically. Where the two haves join there are adjustable locating tags with holes one side and lugs the other, and the crown is adjusted to fit that way. Its similar to the way they used to make adjustable armour helmets in the olden days It's unusual to have a huge size variation but remember the circumference may go a bit oval - but that's not a big deal as most people's heads are also oval in circumference. clearly this will only work if all adults or all children are wearing it, as the adjustment will be to big to go from child to adult!
Remember how the queen wears the crown though....it's sort of perched on the top of the head rather than down over the ears so don't worry if you think it looks a bit small - that's how it's supposed to be worn and why her maj had to walk around with piles of books on her head before the coronation - to ensure she kept her head up and straight so the crown didn't fall off!!

SteveLAO
05-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Or.....you could always construct it like a tiara, with the head frame going three quarters of the way round and an elastic "belt" joining up the ends with adjustment just like a traditional belt.

Dennis
05-07-2013, 09:30 AM
If the crown/tiara is stiff enough it can just be bent to fit surely. The difference between large and small is only about 3cm. Dennis.

SteveLAO
05-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Yes, assuming there are no stones set in it....or you will have stones coming out all over the place!! :)

Gemsetterchris
05-07-2013, 10:07 AM
How about something that works like an optivisor, with the adjustable screw?