PDA

View Full Version : Hallmarking Help!!

KarolinaMoon
03-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Hello,

I am about to register with an assay office, and need some advise! Firstly I can't decide whether to go with the Edinburgh assay office or the dublin assay office! is anyone registered with either of these assay offices, and can give me some advise on their experiences with them? Also, can anyone explain how the process of sending your jewellery to be hallmarked works? I understand Edinburgh has a minmum charge for under 15 items? Dublin seems to have a 'least silver parcel' charge of 14.22 euros. But I really dont know how all this works! Grateful for any help and advise! Thanks!!! :)

SteveLAO
03-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Please bear in mind that the Dublin office, not being located within the UK, is not bound by the hallmarking act as the rest of the UK offices are (London, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Sheffield) so their regulations may well be different. I see you're in Belfast, which of course being in the UK will be bound by the act, and the Dublin mark will be treated as a "foreign" mark".
The process is quite straightforward. You first of all have to register with an assay office - this is a 10 year registration. Cost for this is around £70 or so depending on the office. As part of the registration you have to commission a punch with your sponsor mark on it. Your sponsor mark is a mark which is unique to you and identifies your items. Your sponsor mark is typically between 2 - 5 letters within a shield shaped surround. This mark forms part of the hallmark. Once those two steps are completed then you're ready to send your items in.
Details of you and your items together with marking instructions are detailed on a piece of paper called a hallnote, which is submitted along with your work.
Regarding charges, all 4 UK assay offices charge a similar amount for hallmarking, but if cost is the be all and end all then you would be best to study each of the price lists and look at the sort of items you would be sending in.
Many assay offices, in addition to their charges, are able to offer many other things too. I can't really speak for the other offices, but you're very welcome to have a look at our website to see the other things we get up to. We are active supporters of the trade, as part of the Goldsmiths' Company. www.assayofficelondon.co.uk Have a look at the other sites too, and see which you feel is the most appropriate for you. Remember...it's not just about hallmarking and who is the cheapest!
Happy to give you any more info or advise you need, happy reading and choose well :)