PDA

View Full Version : Yellow / white gold combo

metalsmith
01-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been experimenting with making silver rings for some time and have achieved a reasonable degree of success. However, I've been asked to make a ring in yellow-white-yellow gold 9ct. I was thinking of joining 3 strands of 2.5x1.5 mm D wire. Would this work? Having not worked with gold before, aside from the lower temperatures, is there anything I need to know? Would I use yellow or white gold solder and how do I prevent the solder contaminating the other colour gold ring(s).

Thanks

metalsmith
01-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Its always the case that you find the answer after posting the question; I did look first, honest:

three w's .cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4742
three w's .cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3532
Sorry, I can't post url's yet - please be kind I'm new here!

I'm still open to suggestions on my approach 3 x D wire - will this end well?

Dennis
01-07-2013, 08:46 PM
QUOTE=metalsmith;57277]Its always the case that you find the answer after posting the question; I did look first, honest:

I'm sorry but I could not figure out how to find your links.

Work out the lenghths needed and lay them out,,flat side up and side by side. This is much easier if your wires are perfectly straight by annealing and stretching them hard.

It will be quite difficult to judge the amount of solder correctly, but for tidiness you need to use pallions not paste, and to solder with the minimum, stopping as soon as it has flowed. All the mess will be on the flat inside, where it is easy to clean up. Once you have soldered the three strands, they can be made into a ring.

For simplicity you might choose 9ct medium white solder throughout as the melting point is suitable for both.

I suggest that you practice with round copper wire and silver solder to begin with. A good cheap source will be a metre of earthing cable from a local electrical shop, the thickest they sell will contain seven strands. Dennis.

metalsmith
02-07-2013, 09:18 AM
QUOTE=metalsmith;57277]Its always the case that you find the answer after posting the question; I did look first, honest:

I'm sorry but I could not figure out how to find your links. Dennis.

Thanks for your guidance, Dennis

For the links - to which you also contributed, then just copy (e.g.) .cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4742
then paste it into the address bar at the top of your web browser after www
hope you find this works