PDA

View Full Version : Assay Office / cuttlefish & textured metal

Nick martin
27-06-2013, 12:24 PM
I have recently registered with the Assay office, and I'm about to send several pieces off to them next week for stamping.

Some of the pieces are made up of a combination of smooth highly polished surfaces along with textured backs mainly from using cuttlefish as the mold. Will the Assay office have issues with putting the hallmarks onto the cuttlefish textured surface?

Thanks as always,

Nick

mizgeorge
27-06-2013, 01:31 PM
I usually try to create a small smooth patch (a good burnish is often enough) for the hallmark - not least so it can be seen properly.

Nick martin
27-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Yeah that'll be good practice, hadnt occurred to me as daft as it sounds.

As always, thanks for the quick answers to my novice questions of late!

Nick

SteveLAO
01-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Yes we do like to have a smooth surface if possible, particularly if you want your items laser marked.
For press or hand marking, a textured finish is more of an inconvenience than a drama....you might lose a wee bit of definition in the marks if its a reasonably delicate item and we can't strike too hard, but if its something a bit more hefty we can strike the mark through the textured finish and still get a reasonable result.

Nick martin
01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks for that advice Steve, and also your info on punches. Much appreciated.

Nick

SteveLAO
01-07-2013, 01:11 PM
no worries....always happy to make people's punches for them, whether its a logo mark or a traditional sponsor mark :)