PDA

View Full Version : Windswept Bark.

Dennis
24-06-2013, 08:58 AM
This term’s project at my weekly class was decided by lottery:

We were asked to write down a noun and a descriptive word on two scraps of paper, fold them and put them into two separate bags. I wrote climbing and tendrils and drew out first, bark and then windswept.

The image which came to mind was that bark which you see as mulch on borders, to keep the weeds down, piled into a heap. So I rummaged in my scrap box for bark-textured copper and cut it up into random shapes. Then I used some long abandoned rectangular silver wire and curved it to suggest the wind. The back has brooch findings, so here is my brooch, more suited to autumn than spring.

The copper colour is not very bark like, but I’m afraid it would be even less convincing darkened with sulphur. What do you think? Dennis.

mizgeorge
24-06-2013, 11:08 AM
I love the shapes Dennis, but I'm afraid I'm never a huge fan of polished copper. If you don't want to use los, how about some gilders paste or even sealed acrylic paint to alter the colour?

Wallace
24-06-2013, 04:28 PM
I am sure over the years with some natural oxidisation they will look more like windswept. I am with G on this one, not a fan of the high polished copper. Reminds me of having to get the brasso and it's equivalent out every Sunday to clean the copper pans at my grans. I didn't realise it was just to keep us in the same room and behaved at the time, clever grand parents!

Beautiful work nonetheless though Dennis.

Kindest,
Wallace

Dennis
24-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks,both. Tell us about gilder's paste, George.

mizgeorge
24-06-2013, 07:38 PM
I quite like this type - http://www.metalclay.co.uk/gilding-paste-wax/ - and have used it on copper and brass, as well as alloy, with interesting effects. You can use it as is, or thin it and brush on. It lasts pretty well on its own, or can be sealed in the usual way.

The colour they call African Bronze might give a nice tone.

Dennis
24-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks George, it looks rather like the stuff Rowneys used to sell to touch up scuffed picture frames.

mizgeorge
24-06-2013, 09:26 PM
It is a bit, but does seem to be a bit more durable.

Patstone
25-06-2013, 05:22 AM
My grans family were quite wealthy and she inherited quite a bit of silver, mostly coffee pots and things like that, all with patterns on, which I used to have to polish when I went there every week, so know how you feel. Perhaps thats why I hate polishing silver now.

I am sure over the years with some natural oxidisation they will look more like windswept. I am with G on this one, not a fan of the high polished copper. Reminds me of having to get the brasso and it's equivalent out every Sunday to clean the copper pans at my grans. I didn't realise it was just to keep us in the same room and behaved at the time, clever grand parents!

Beautiful work nonetheless though Dennis.

Kindest,
Wallace