PDA

View Full Version : Tube

Patstone
19-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Someone has asked me to make a ring that really sparkles, and I am a bit stuck. She was looking at a moonstone, in a cabachon type setting, cant think of an extremely sparkly stone other than a white topaz which she saw and said it wasnt sparkly enough. If I get a facetted cubic zirconia to give it sparkle it means it will have to be tube set, but I am having difficulty buying tube that big, 6.5mm inside diameter. I have tried to make it out of the strip with a shelf on it but it is quite hard to bend to a small size, has anyone any ideas where I can buy a short length of tube that size. Bellore do it but they have a minimum order so it wouldnt be cost effective as I dont intend making any more that size and at the moment I dont need anything else.

Wallace
19-06-2013, 11:21 AM
hi Pat,
have you tried Rashbel? http://www.rashbel.com/Products.asp?cat_id=211

Dennis
19-06-2013, 12:18 PM
. I have tried to make it out of the strip with a shelf on it but it is quite hard to bend to a small size.

Pat, I have made lots of those. I think the trouble you are having is because you are using sterling sheet. if you change to 4.0mm fine silver there is much less problem because it is very soft when annealed, but quickly stiffens when bent. The inner bearing can also be a jump ring, rather than another tube.

It helps to have a little bezel mandrel to shape them. Dennis.

Wallace
19-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Pat, I have made lots of those. I think the trouble you are having is because you are using sterling sheet. if you change to 4.0mm fine silver there is much less problem because it is very soft when annealed, but quickly stiffens when bent. The inner bearing can also be a jump ring, rather than another tube.

It helps to have a little bezel mandrel to shape them. Dennis.

good point, I wasn't thinking wider than your question and should have, given that you like to make many parts yourself. Fine silver sheet is a doddle to work with. I purchase loads of it at .4mm and make mounts to fit the stone. (except for the 1 - 1.8mm sizes and then I purchase tube or, depending on the time I have, drill holes in thick enough wire as it is cheaper and seamless).

mizgeorge
19-06-2013, 12:51 PM
If you do want tube, Rashbel have a reasonable range, or better still is Argex - you have to phone them, but they're always incredibly helpful and sell even very short lengths. http://www.argex.co.uk/categories.php?cat=64

Patstone
22-06-2013, 07:06 AM
Well I have got around the problem now, thanks for all your help though. I bought ages ago a strip of silver with a shelf on which I tried to use to set the stone on, the first attempt was with a 6mm stone, which failed dismally, I couldnt bend the strip small enough. I had a huge 10mm AAAAA Diamond CZ stone that I was keeping for something for me, but I thought I wonder if it will work for this bigger stone, well it did. Problem solved. Only downside is that I now have to go and look for a stone for me. Very pleased with the result, my daughter is my "quality control" so she has to look at it before it goes out to customer but I have uploaded a pic for your comments.

ps_bond
22-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Pat, I've got some 9mm CZs as practice stones if you'd like one.

Time was a 9mm CZ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_75) meant something very, very different to me :)

Patstone
22-06-2013, 09:56 AM
I assume you weren't a bad boy, but that you used to do pistol shooting. I dont know a lot about pistols, 12 bores are more my thing, used to go beating for a local pheasant shoot, and first time around I was married to a farmer so shooting vermin, rabbits etc was in our daily life, learned to shoot a 2.2 but a bit deadly for shooting rabbits and rats, plus had a good ratting labrador at the time. Husband no.2 was in the British Army and was an Arms Instructor, not much call for them outside the Army though unless you are going to join rebel forces. Lol.
As for the stones, it really depends on the clarity, I am not being ungrateful but its all to do with the quality as I will be judged by the quality of my work regardless if I keep it for myself or sell it on, if they are clear and sparkly I would love them, but will pay the going price for them, let me know how much and I will Paypal you.

Pat, I've got some 9mm CZs as practice stones if you'd like one.

Time was a 9mm CZ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_75) meant something very, very different to me :)

Dennis
22-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Big CZs are both showy and modest as they are not worth mugging someone for. You did well to find that bearer wire, Pat and put it to good use. I tried it some years ago,but with smaller stones and gave up in disgust. Dennis.

Exsecratio
22-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Time was a 9mm CZ meant something very, very different to me

I hear that Peter ;) the 75 was indeed very good (unless it was being pointed at you at the time)

best wishes

Dave

Patstone
22-06-2013, 04:06 PM
I found it quite hard to bend for the smaller stone, ended up using a much bigger stone and it worked out ok. I wondered if you have ever tried to do the method with the jumpring, but do it flat and bend and solder it into a tube. What I mean is use flat silver sheet and a length of wire and solder them together about 4mm from the top edge, then bend into tube shape and solder. I may give that a try as the chances of me being able to make a jumpring the right size to go into a tube is very unlikely.

Big CZs are both showy and modest as they are not worth mugging someone for. You did well to find that bearer wire, Pat and put it to good use. I tried it some years ago,but with smaller stones and gave up in disgust. Dennis.

Dennis
22-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Try it and see. I'd like to know whether that works for you. Dennis.