PDA

View Full Version : how can i colour silver, and how long will it last?

carrie
12-06-2013, 07:20 PM
hi, i have only been making jewellery for 6 months i am making some earings with blue topaz and would like the surround to be a grey colour, I only know how to use liver of sulphur to colour silver but are there any other methods? and how long does the colouring usually last?

Exsecratio
12-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Silver can be anodised in various colours, I'm not sure about how strong the finished surface would be though. The colour is controlled by voltage much like Titanium.

best wishes

Dave

Dennis
12-06-2013, 08:53 PM
I would say that the most favoured way to darken silver and base metals such as copper and brass at home, is to use Platinol, which is a liquid. It won't cause a loud smell, or bring about protests from the other residents, but it is not kind to fingers or natural fibres, so you must wear rubber gloves and if using a brush ,go for synthetics.

Ideally it is dipped for an even effect, before setting the stone and then the setting marks touched up. However with the stone in place it is best carefully applied with a brush as any deposit on the stone can be hard to remove.

There are no instructions, but some of us have discovered that it is best diluted with cold water and rinsed under the cold tap when the colour seems right. achieving patination too quickly causes the surface to flake. Also any exposed solder will only partially darken.

Be aware that the colour of translucent stones will also be affected by a black setting. Some look decidedly worse and some, like garnets are enhanced.

You will note that the effect is more lustrous when wet, so anything which gives a wet look such as wax polish, or laquer will enhance the look, as will a short time in a tumbler with smooth shot.

In use the high spots will become sightly more shiny, resulting in an antique look. Below is my antiqued pendant with CZs, on a tiger tail chain. Dennis

carrie
13-06-2013, 03:42 PM
hi thanks for your help will try and get some platinol