PDA

View Full Version : Cookson becomes Heimerle Meule

Goldenwonder
12-06-2013, 09:54 AM
I've heard the news that Cookson is bought by Heimerle Meule from Germany. Official news within a few days by letter. Will this beca good progression? I think so.

ps_bond
12-06-2013, 10:48 AM
I can't find that news - the closest I've found is Vesuvius plc selling their precious metals processing division to Heimerle + Meule?
Is this going to affect anyone on here?

t1ggerk1ns
12-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I have trawled the financial and business news and can't find anything on this either.

Goldenwonder
12-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Vesuvius was the first buying company, but didn't make it. Now it will be Heimerle. It will be officially probably this week. I've heard that the letters are ready to be posted in Holland

Goldenwonder
12-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Vesuvius wanted to be a partner, but they were not branche (whats the english word) related. So they quit finally

Goldenwonder
12-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Heimerle is a "small company" but will take the whole european Cookson group

ps_bond
12-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Vesuvius wanted to be a partner, but they were not branche (whats the english word) related. So they quit finally

According to Google translate, "line" from Dutch (industry from German). Not convinced I'm getting the correct sense of it though.

Goldenwonder
12-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Branche is not industry related

kymbi
12-06-2013, 02:22 PM
If no-one can find any news on the internet about the sale, how did you come across this information Goldenwonder?

medusa
12-06-2013, 03:08 PM
I found this from last april:
http://www.possehl.de/index.php?id=37&language=2&newsId=69

Have no idea of the significance of it though.

Goldenwonder
12-06-2013, 05:02 PM
@kimby... Let's call it inside information

Wallace
12-06-2013, 05:18 PM

hmmmm, should we be purchasing shares???

medusa
12-06-2013, 06:06 PM

except as the link in my post above shows, it's been public knowledge for two months, so not really news nor inside information.

ahunter
13-06-2013, 07:38 AM
We are pleased to announce that as of 31st May 2013 Cookson Precious Metals was acquired by Heimerle + Meule GmbH.

Heimerle + Meule was founded in 1845 and is Germany's oldest gold and silver refinery with headquarters in Pforzheim. They are a leading manufacturer of precious metal products, and offer high quality materials and semi finished products for the jewellery industry.

This newly formed European group is now better able to quickly respond to your needs. Going forward our customers will benefit from an extended product and service range throughout Europe that is supported by local service. The companies of this new group complement each other. Together we look forward to a shining precious metal future.

Cooksongold remains unchanged and its business as usual.

Goldenwonder
13-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Heimerle Meule is now together with:
Cookson Great Brittain
Cookson France
Sempsa Espaņa
Cookson Netherlands
Koutadly Portugal

Owner of Heimerle Meule is L. Possehl &co

caroleallen
13-06-2013, 04:22 PM
If it means we may get our hands on some of the lovely equipment available in other countries, bring it on! I doubt it though, as most of the stuff I covet is only available in America.

Goldenwonder
14-06-2013, 08:24 AM
In the Netherlands it was not possible to order a laser equipment at Cooksons. In between a few weeks this will be possible. So I think this is a positive move.

ps_bond
14-06-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm hoping for a wider selection of burrs (particularly the Busch AU range). With what I'm up to now I'm finding what's generally available in the UK somewhat clumsy & restrictive.

You seem to have a vested interest, Goldenwonder - can I ask what that is, please?

ShinyLauren
14-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Carole and Peter - I had an idea the other day about starting up a website selling bits and bobs that are difficult to find over here - it would have to be small things, like burrs/radial discs (without the bloody mandrel!) GRS quick change gravers etc, rather than big equipment, as I've nowhere to store big stuff. Good idea do you think? Trying to work out startup costs and whether manufacturers would wholesale to a sole trader.

ps_bond
14-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Sounds good, but would you get the scale to do it?

I'd forget about the GRS bits - that deal seems quite tied down; GRS sell to 1 European (Swiss actually, but never mind) stockist and I *think* there's a sole agreement on import into the UK. Burrs could be good, but you'd probably need to maintain stock, and if there's just me who wants weird & wonderful sizes then I'm not a big enough market. Space & logistics are always an issue - if you've got 1000 burrs as inventory, they quickly mount up. The other question that springs to mind is - can you devote enough time to it? For many part-timers, if it takes a couple of days extra to get supplies in then we can possibly work around it; if you're full-time & operating JIT on stocking then not having the burr you need the next day can be crippling.

So yes, it'd be interesting - but there's a lot of potential issues you'd need to go into to make a clear decision; I wouldn't want to say "yes, go for it" without raising some caveats! I've probably been hanging around lawyers too much ;)

pearlescence
14-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Why don't you find out who is making the burrs (probably in China) and get direct?
Put me down for a couple of wire end smoothers in different sizes. Not very exciting but necessary when making earrings from wire.

ShinyLauren
14-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Yeah, there is a lot of stuff to consider! Perhaps it should just stay in my head, along with all the other random ideas floating about in there.

ps_bond
14-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Yeah, there is a lot of stuff to consider! Perhaps it should just stay in my head, along with all the other random ideas floating about in there.

I wouldn't necessarily shy away from it - just make sure you go into it eyes open!

I'd assume that Busch burrs are still made in Dusseldorf?

art925
14-06-2013, 04:07 PM
In the Netherlands it was not possible to order a laser equipment at Cooksons. In between a few weeks this will be possible. So I think this is a positive move.

There are many things more important like metals and hand tools that are not available in NL, over and above laser equipment, I look forward to an improved service

Peter, I suspect Goldenwonder is in the Amsterdam area of the Netherlands, close to the Arena maybe??