PDA

View Full Version : Complicated question...

Charlotte
24-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Right, a friend of mine would like to know if this is possible...

She would like her grandma's 24 carat yellow gold ring melted down (remade to her size) and put on the inside of a white gold (any carat that would work with 24 carat yellow gold) ring.

Now, I can almost imagine this process in my head, but not knowing anything about casting or how different carats/colours work together I haven't got a clue. She's been to one jewellers who said they couldn't do it because it would stand too far off her finger... I don't get that at all.

I hope that makes sense, ask me if you don't get what I'm on about. I would really appreciate some help[-o<

agent_44
24-08-2009, 11:23 AM
I suppose it might stand out too much if the band was very narrow, if there's more gold from the ring than needed, maybe some it could be used somewhere else? Not ever worked with gold, but that sounds reasonable to me.

I have found if a jeweller doesn't like your idea, they might say something like that. I would get her to ask a few more opinions.

Back when I got engaged I recall being told off quite severley in one jewellers for considering a colored stone in my ring, as if by doing that the world would end! Needless to say, said offensive jewellers did not get my business, and I came home with a Sapphire and Diamond ring. Husband ran away, but I still have the ring and love it, and wear it practically all the time. I think the ring is nicer than the hhusband was, anyway ;)

Matp85
24-08-2009, 07:11 PM
hmm you gotta picture of what you need or is this what your thinking about?

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=45&pictureid=246

Di Sandland
24-08-2009, 07:12 PM
oooh, nice!

ben b
24-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Matp85
26-08-2009, 07:14 PM
what ben b said is champion. But if you wanted it solid you can always mill the solder thin cut thin strips and while compressing the rings or stretching you could place the solder between the two and then make sure its a tight fit. But be careful when filling you dont want to take to much away so always make sure you 22ct is counter sunk into the white gold and the sides are a snug fit!

Also like ben b said think about refining you solder the two it would take uncanny skill to get them separated again.