PDA

View Full Version : Just out of interest

Truffle & Podge
05-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Do any of you out there prefer to leave the protective film on the silver when piercing?

Dennis
05-06-2013, 10:04 PM
The short answer is 'no', because for me the ragged effect would obscure the crispness of the cut.

Also I always make a label for any design and stick it on with Pritt, so the plastic would interfere with that. Here is a brief account of what I do:

1. Draw the design, often oversized and then adjust by copying on my copier to the size I want.
2. Stick on with Pritt, which later comes off with water.
3. If I am after accuracy, I spray with art fixative to resist surface wear before piecing.
4. If there are critical lines, cut through with a fresh snap-off blade to mark the silver, using a ruler for straight lines. This allows me to perfect the piecing or file to the line after washing off the label.

Below my name buckle pierced in this way. Two letters were cut off, beveled and soldered back on. Dennis.

Goldsmith
06-06-2013, 06:33 AM
As Dennis says, no. I like to see where I am piercing without any obstructions. I always draw my design on the metal surface and outline the design with a graver before piercing.

James

Anna Wales
06-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Same as Dennis and James.
Here is a new ring pattern I've started. Film would get in the way.
4815 4816

mizgeorge
06-06-2013, 08:43 AM
I do for large stuff, but not for detailed piercing.

Patstone
06-06-2013, 09:36 AM
I tried leaving the plastic on, but as mentioned before you get a ragged edge which obscures what you are trying to cut. So like James and Dennis, I draw on with a sharpie to start with then normally go over it again with a graver lightly to mark it. Hate piercing so do as little as I can get away with.

Dennis
06-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Well I guess you got loads of information there Tasha. I keep away from gravers except as a last resort, as I am likely to make skid marks. Time to go on a course again, I think. But I cant bear wasting the first day on all the setting up again. Dennis.

Patstone
06-06-2013, 01:23 PM
You are lucky there are courses in your area. It must be lovely to have the choice of places at your fingertips.

Well I guess you got loads of information there Tasha. I keep away from gravers except as a last resort, as I am likely to make skid marks. Time to go on a course again, I think. But I cant bear wasting the first day on all the setting up again. Dennis.

susieq
06-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Oops - I draw my design onto masking tape and slap it on top of the protective film; I leave the film on the back too. Sounds like I need a rethink.

Susie

Truffle & Podge
06-06-2013, 10:23 PM
i use the pritt stick method and after much frustration (cuz i'm a bit slow sometimes) i worked out that if i scan my design in and then print it out i don't have probs with ink smudging or feathering from the glue. I was just curious in case it was better to leave the film on :)
X

medusa
07-06-2013, 11:21 AM
As Dennis says, no. I like to see where I am piercing without any obstructions. I always draw my design on the metal surface and outline the design with a graver before piercing.

James

as a mini hijack, James, Do you recall saying you were going to do a tutorial on how you 'draw' with a saw for piercing? I'd love to read it!

Goldsmith
07-06-2013, 12:32 PM
as a mini hijack, James, Do you recall saying you were going to do a tutorial on how you 'draw' with a saw for piercing? I'd love to read it!

My memory is bad these days, I have tried to explain my saw piercing methods when answering various postings about piercing, but I find that photos or even a video would show things clearer, my problem is that I cannot pierce and take photos at the same time, I have been asked to make a video showing me piercing but I have not got round to it yet, but it is still planned for the future. I am trying to write a book of the traditional workshop techniques taught to me during my career, but it is slow going with all else that is going on in my life.
James

medusa
07-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Oh James, I suppose you could start by compiling all the informative posts you have made on here. That would be almost a book in itself.

But I do fully understand the time pressures!

Wallace
08-06-2013, 09:03 AM
My memory is bad these days, I have tried to explain my saw piercing methods when answering various postings about piercing, but I find that photos or even a video would show things clearer, my problem is that I cannot pierce and take photos at the same time, I have been asked to make a video showing me piercing but I have not got round to it yet, but it is still planned for the future. I am trying to write a book of the traditional workshop techniques taught to me during my career, but it is slow going with all else that is going on in my life.
James

You need to get some help... I leave my day job soon.... :)

Patstone
09-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Well done, you will feel under a lot less pressure. I take it you mean by that statement that you mean that you will be making jewellery more and teaching, not doing nightly pursuits. Lol X