PDA

View Full Version : pearl wire / ball wire / round blobs

trialuser
04-06-2013, 10:02 PM
My wife has bought a nice simple ring made from god knows what, in the form of lots of balls soldered or fused together.
I'd like to make her a silver one.
I have found what Rashbels call pearl wire but it does seem a bit pricy, but it may be the going rate.
They have it at £32 + vat per Metre in 1.5mm.
I don't think Cookson sell it.
Does anyone know of any other sources please.
I don't think I really fancy making it from scratch - even if I knew how!
Thanks

This sort of thing (http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/122539174/small-beaded-dot-ring-in-sterling-silver?ref=shop_home_active)

mizgeorge
05-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Bellore have a wider range of sizes - http://www.bellore.co.uk/shop/pearl_wires/0.75.aspx

To put the price in context, you can make 17 or so rings from a metre (so under £2 per ring) which might not seem quite so bad - and they always look nice in stacker sets. Or just buy 60mm...

trialuser
05-06-2013, 01:51 AM
OK thanks.
I thought that may be the going rate - just seems a lot compared to plain round wire, around 3x as much, when presumably it is just put through some sort of roller/die arrangement to form the balls and there is less weight of silver per metre.
I suppose it's a turnover/demand economy of scale issue.
You're right that a few stacked rings won't break the bank though :)
Would you know if on the whole, Bellore tend to be a bit cheaper for silver than Rashbels?
The prices on the Rashbel site are substantially higher than cookson for equivalent sections.
Ideally one of the movers and shakers at Cookson will read this and decide to stock it!

art925
05-06-2013, 07:52 AM
OK thanks.

Ideally one of the movers and shakers at Cookson will read this and decide to stock it!

The price looks about right, I have just checked with my supplier, 1.5mm pearl wire 38.40 Euro plus vat.

trialuser
05-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks for checking and the confirmation on price.