PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE NEEDED Has anyone got the Cooksongold 3llb metal barrelling machine?

Truffle & Podge
30-05-2013, 04:57 PM
What can i really expect from it? I have a very small budget but i'm sick to death of hand polishing fiddly little bits :(|
If i put in pieces with textures will it polish them out or just shine them up nicely? Also if anyone has seen the picture of my very first circlet (half) would that fit in as a whole piece on it's own before the smaller wires and crystals etc are added? (it would just be the textured band with the soldered on piercings) and does it work harden the pieces as this would be a massive help
Thanks in advance
Tasha

Wallace
30-05-2013, 06:42 PM
The polish media will have some cutting power to it, so will take off fine lines

polishing is therapy for the inane... :P

barrelling is fine for bringing up a nice shine on the smaller pieces. It will crush your finer wires - but seems to be gentle enough for most things. Work hardening is not always going to happen. The bigger the piece, the less likely that will be the case. Barrelling is basically having some nice pins or balls beating onto the metal - the soap additives you use, will also affect the result. You will need to make sure it is a burnishing soap, rather than a cutting soap mix. I use mine when I have a lot of little pieces or want to bring up some older pieces, that have been stored for a while, back to their former glory.

Your circlet may survive if the main framework and additional wires and fixtures are thick enough to cope. Failing that, send them to me... I love the inane! hahaha

Truffle & Podge
30-05-2013, 07:02 PM
The polish media will have some cutting power to it, so will take off fine lines

polishing is therapy for the inane... :P

barrelling is fine for bringing up a nice shine on the smaller pieces. It will crush your finer wires - but seems to be gentle enough for most things. Work hardening is not always going to happen. The bigger the piece, the less likely that will be the case. Barrelling is basically having some nice pins or balls beating onto the metal - the soap additives you use, will also affect the result. You will need to make sure it is a burnishing soap, rather than a cutting soap mix. I use mine when I have a lot of little pieces or want to bring up some older pieces, that have been stored for a while, back to their former glory.

Your circlet may survive if the main framework and additional wires and fixtures are thick enough to cope. Failing that, send them to me... I love the inane! hahaha

Darling don't offer that! rofl do you have any idea how much i would abuse the offer :rofl: !!!!

mizgeorge
30-05-2013, 07:04 PM
I might be wrong, but the circlet looks like it is bigger than the 11.5cm diameter of the barrelling machine, in which case it won't fit anyway.

Wallace
30-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Darling don't offer that! rofl do you have any idea how much i would abuse the offer :rofl: !!!!
=:-O lol

I might be wrong, but the circlet looks like it is bigger than the 11.5cm diameter of the barrelling machine, in which case it won't fit anyway.

ohhh - good point G. I thought it would be smaller... I know nothing about those. I was thinking of it being gently curved to slide in the barrel. Additionally I thought barrels could differ in sizes, but maybe that is just for stone tumbling.

Dennis
30-05-2013, 10:38 PM
I've forgotten how you polished your first piece Tasha, but polishing with compounds is decidedly tedious and mucky. the first thing is to work as cleanly as possible, so that the wires and additions keep their smoothness. When finished, try brushing it all over with a wet and soapy jewellers brass brush. For many items that is the only finishing I do.

Next if you feel some parts need more attention, then flat parts can quickly be brought up with three or for grades of Micro-Mesh, say 3600,4000, 6000 and 8000grit. This is a rubbery abrasive cloth, best Googled for the cheapest offer.

For any complex area try about four grades of radial disk on your hand held motor. The are rubber bristles brushes, used dry.

If you envisage making a good number of circlets in the future a professional size tumbler would work for you, but they are much more pricy and used with soap would do a high class burnish without removing any detail, but at the same time would not deal with any scratches or sharp edges.

I have seen various references to hardening the wire, but I would have thought that making them flat and then bending to shape at the end would give them all the hardness they need. Dennis.

caroleallen
31-05-2013, 05:50 AM
If it was me, I'd probably just bend the circlet around to fit into the tumbler and once polished, open it out again. That's what I do with tiaras and it works fine for me.

Dennis
31-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Problem solved, then.

Truffle & Podge
31-05-2013, 01:08 PM
I've forgotten how you polished your first piece Tasha, but polishing with compounds is decidedly tedious and mucky. the first thing is to work as cleanly as possible, so that the wires and additions keep their smoothness. When finished, try brushing it all over with a wet and soapy jewellers brass brush. For many items that is the only finishing I do.

Next if you feel some parts need more attention, then flat parts can quickly be brought up with three or for grades of Micro-Mesh, say 3600,4000, 6000 and 8000grit. This is a rubbery abrasive cloth, best Googled for the cheapest offer.

For any complex area try about four grades of radial disk on your hand held motor. The are rubber bristles brushes, used dry.

If you envisage making a good number of circlets in the future a professional size tumbler would work for you, but they are much more pricy and used with soap would do a high class burnish without removing any detail, but at the same time would not deal with any scratches or sharp edges.

I have seen various references to hardening the wire, but I would have thought that making them flat and then bending to shape at the end would give them all the hardness they need. Dennis.

On the 1st piece i spent ages polishing each part up to a pre rouge state before soldering (what a waste of time!) then had to go through all the polishing again. I used a mixture of 320 grit sanding discs, 400, 800,1000 & 1200 wet & dry and eveflex flames in 4 different grades then ending up brass brushing anyway as a mirror finish was impossible to achieve. I also tried using the papers in a split mandrel but due to the shape and having (as part of the design) the leaves etc sitting away from the band after the soldering point, the kickback was impossible to control & the flying ends of the paper strips kept leaping on to other parts (not good).
I also spend an extraordinary amount of time filing down the edges of the ball pein hammered main band so they are smooth and flat instead of wibbly where the hammering has spread the wire.
On my second piece (which i should be finishing today) i didn't bother with much pre sanding, just filed down the edges of the band and brought the piercings up to about 800 grade. This has saved quite a bit of time but the mirror shine is still elusive. Although tbh i'm thinking i prefer the satin finish anyway now.
I just spend so much time with filing and sanding the band edges i would love to get a quick fix for the surfaces.............................
Have been looking at the radials for a while
X

Truffle & Podge
31-05-2013, 01:12 PM
If it was me, I'd probably just bend the circlet around to fit into the tumbler and once polished, open it out again. That's what I do with tiaras and it works fine for me.

Is that in the 3llb size Carole? and does it knock the attachments about? (had a look at your tiaras and you have those beautiful wires sprouting out with the shapes on top) is it easy to open it out again?
Cheers
Tasha
X

Truffle & Podge
31-05-2013, 01:13 PM
You guys are great btw just had to mention that! :X
X

caroleallen
31-05-2013, 04:03 PM
No, I've got this one http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Evans-Single-Barrelling-Unit-Including-One-Rubber-Lidded-Barrel-prcode-999-001

I've also got that 3lb one but tbh it leaks like crazy and I gave up on it in the end. I just keep it for emergencies.

Truffle & Podge
31-05-2013, 05:15 PM
No, I've got this one http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Evans-Single-Barrelling-Unit-Including-One-Rubber-Lidded-Barrel-prcode-999-001

I've also got that 3lb one but tbh it leaks like crazy and I gave up on it in the end. I just keep it for emergencies.

Hmmmm have no idea what to do..................the price reduction on the 3lb barrel ends tonight ...................um............................a h...............................i just don't know wish i had more money :'(

Goldsmith
31-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Are you not interested in a bench mounted polishing motor? Barrel polishers are good for polishing multiple items like castings etc. but for single items I prefer a standard polisher. Also if I read right it's not in stock at Cookson yet.
I did post a link to a cheap starter set; http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/brands/Silverline.html , at just under £50 with free postage. For this sum you, get a grinder for shaping tools and hammers and a polishing kit with mops and polishing compounds.

James

Truffle & Podge
01-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Are you not interested in a bench mounted polishing motor? Barrel polishers are good for polishing multiple items like castings etc. but for single items I prefer a standard polisher. Also if I read right it's not in stock at Cookson yet.
I did post a link to a cheap starter set; http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/brands/Silverline.html , at just under £50 with free postage. For this sum you, get a grinder for shaping tools and hammers and a polishing kit with mops and polishing compounds.

James

I would love a bench polisher but i'm working from an ikea bench in the corner of my lounge in my 1 bed flat so i don't think it's possible :( also don't they whip things out of your hands quite easily? i'm such a nervous nelly i jump about a foot every time i get kick back from my pendant.
It's the little hearts that do my head in, they are less than 1cm sq so i wind up pushing them down on to the sandpaper with my finger and moving it back & forth etc (not the best finish ever)
X

Truffle & Podge
01-06-2013, 03:22 PM

James

I would love a bench polisher but i'm working from an ikea bench in the corner of my lounge in my 1 bed flat so i don't think it's possible :( also don't they whip things out of your hands quite easily? i'm such a nervous nelly i jump about a foot every time i get kick back from my pendant.
It's the little hearts that do my head in, they are less than 1cm sq so i wind up pushing them down on to the sandpaper with my finger and moving it back & forth etc (not the best finish ever)
X