PDA

View Full Version : Who is your major insperation?

CyberPaddy66
23-08-2009, 03:23 PM
I have to hold my hand up and admit that my partner Nik is NOT my major inspiration in the world of silver (please forgive me honey [-o<)!

The man I most admire is Luis F. Moreno and looking at his work on Youtube and Genoskin has really pushed me forward in the silversmithing and artistry of the work we do here at The Bijou Dragon... in fact if it wasn't for Luis I doubt we would have decided to buy all the equipment we did when our money (incapacity benefit) finally came through.

So the question I ask is this... who is YOUR major inspiration?

bustagasket
23-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I am afraid i really dont know enough about the subject yet. i aspire to be like many on here, but big names go right over my head. i go one small step at a time, the work i see on here is stunning enough, and if i ever get as good then i will be on cloud 9

Di Sandland
23-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Josiah Williams and George Maudsley (should have written that other way round - Maudsley was deffo the leading light).

I am politically incorrect and don't like George Jensen's work

The Bijou Dragon
23-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Hmmm the person who I bought some cheap shoddy earrings off of on e-Bay was my inspiration to start making jewellery!

But yes Moreno is what really made me bust out of making bendy wire and beads and move onto the soldering etc.

CyberPaddy66
23-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I am politically incorrect and don't like George Jensen's work

I look at some of his work and think 'that's really nice' and then some of his other stuff makes me want to cry it's so awful to my eyes, I guess that is what personal opinion does for you.

The Bijou Dragon
23-08-2009, 04:53 PM
In the Antiques world George Jensen silver is amazingly sought after, I've heard the name over and over when my folks were in the Antiques trade!

I have to agree though some of his stuff is amazing and some stuff just screams to be melted down again, almost looks like there's more than one person working on his stuff, very strange!

MuranoSilver
23-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Yep Chris is a nice fella :)

bustagasket
23-08-2009, 08:29 PM
very nice too, love the "woodstock" bird on the inside of the ring, i used to collect Snoopy books lol

Di Sandland
23-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I stumbled upon this guy on flickr and have to say that his work to me is utterly amazing, clean lines, very minimalist, perfectly finished with amazing flush setting skills.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris-parry/

If I ever got to his stage of the game I would be more than proud of myself.

(Maybe in 10 years)

Nice work - along the lines of the stuff Nic does, n'est pa?

Solunar Silver Studio
23-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Crumbs - you lot put me to shame! I have to admit that I have not really done much research jewellery wise for years. Most of my recent stuff has been for ceramicists and sculptors (for my HND 3D Design)...Then I remembered we had to do a research project to compare a modern and old jeweller for my CENTRA Silversmithing way back in 1995!! I did Rene Lalique for the 'old' and William Harper for the 'modern'. We then had to design and produce a piece of jewellery that had been informed by our research...

These are links to examples of work by the 2 gentlemen... I have always loved Lalique and Art Nouveau generally...and now I have looked at Harper's more recent stuff - I still find him amazing!!

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic-art/81142/12505/Enamel-glass-and-topaz-hair-ornament-and-brooch-by-Lalique

http://www.wexlergallery.com/artists/jewelry/harper/index1.php

And this was my response to their work....I haven't looked at these piccies for ages...I didn't do half bad all things considered. The finished piece was an enamelled copper dome set in a sterling silver design with a hanging 'baroque' pearl...(well freshwater really!) and a twisted square wire pin The brass one was an experimental piece.

While looking out that photo I came across this one - which was a pendant I made at the end of the first year 1994 - I was surprised to see the twisted chain as I don't remember doing that!! Funny how it has re emerged and become a feature of my current chains!!

CyberPaddy66
23-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I stumbled upon this guy on flickr and have to say that his work to me is utterly amazing, clean lines, very minimalist, perfectly finished with amazing flush setting skills.

(Maybe in 10 years)

Just had a quick scan thought his stuff... Very nice, I especially like the 2" Celtic leaf shaped piece he did for a young lady :D

I have always loved Lalique and Art Nouveau generally...and now I have looked at Harper's more recent stuff - I still find him amazing!!

I'm not a huge fan of Art Nouveau but some of the pieces on those sites are very stunning. :Y:

Lindyloo
23-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I am a huge fan of anything Art Nouveau too Barbara. Just take a look at this...

Di Sandland
24-08-2009, 12:38 AM
I am a huge fan of anything Art Nouveau too Barbara. Just take a look at this...

Absolutely Stunning!

Di Sandland
24-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Crumbs - you lot put me to shame! I have to admit that I have not really done much research jewellery wise for years. Most of my recent stuff has been for ceramicists and sculptors (for my HND 3D Design)...Then I remembered we had to do a research project to compare a modern and old jeweller for my CENTRA Silversmithing way back in 1995!! I did Rene Lalique for the 'old' and William Harper for the 'modern'. We then had to design and produce a piece of jewellery that had been informed by our research...

These are links to examples of work by the 2 gentlemen... I have always loved Lalique and Art Nouveau generally...and now I have looked at Harper's more recent stuff - I still find him amazing!!

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic-art/81142/12505/Enamel-glass-and-topaz-hair-ornament-and-brooch-by-Lalique

http://www.wexlergallery.com/artists/jewelry/harper/index1.php

And this was my response to their work....I haven't looked at these piccies for ages...I didn't do half bad all things considered. The finished piece was an enamelled copper dome set in a sterling silver design with a hanging 'baroque' pearl...(well freshwater really!) and a twisted square wire pin The brass one was an experimental piece.

While looking out that photo I came across this one - which was a pendant I made at the end of the first year 1994 - I was surprised to see the twisted chain as I don't remember doing that!! Funny how it has re emerged and become a feature of my current chains!!

Gawd, Barbara, you don't 'alf hide your light under a bushel. These are brilliant!

Solunar Silver Studio
24-08-2009, 04:46 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Art Nouveau but some of the pieces on those sites are very stunning.

Absolutely Stunning!

Hi Guys...It is so funny how Art Nouveau, seems to be a gender specific art from. We had no end of discussions about it at college...
In fact I might just pop it on as a new thread....although the forum is rather woman heavy.... (perhaps not the best turn of phrase but you know what I mean!! :D ) ...so the results might be a bit skewed!!! But hopefully in our favour - so that's alright then..:rofl:

Was it the William Harper stuff you were 'very stunned' at Paddy? I know it does look a bit like he swallowed a jewellery display and then brought it back up again!!:-O I really don't know why I am so excited by it - but I am!:D

By the way...how DO you get multiple quotes into a reply...? You have no idea what I have gone through to achieve this above...and I have no intention of doing it again in a hurry!! I assume there is an easy 'click of the button' method??

Solunar Silver Studio
24-08-2009, 04:59 AM
Gawd, Barbara, you don't 'alf hide your light under a bushel. These are brilliant!

Thanks Di, As I said - it has been ages since I have looked at those photos...and you tend to forget all the bad bits about something you have made after a period of time has elapsed and can look more objectively at it. I have been so seduced by working with and fusing fine silver that I have sort of forgotten what you can do with constructed sterling sheet! I could almost be tempted ...to the other side!!!!!... AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!:-D

My alternatives.......? Try to do similar structures with pmc?
Make with fine silver sheet? ....it's just that I would have to use solder that would show as a different colour...and would tarnish... Is there such a thing as fine silver solder does anyone know??:dontknow:

Anyway - all thoughts that I will keep churning in my little brain for now!
I'm too busy just trying to get my little business launched this year to be thinking too much of just being plain creative!! HAHA

julie
24-08-2009, 06:00 AM

(Maybe in 10 years)

lovely work ...

CyberPaddy66
24-08-2009, 11:04 AM

I actually like that :o

By the way...how DO you get multiple quotes into a reply...? You have no idea what I have gone through to achieve this above...and I have no intention of doing it again in a hurry!! I assume there is an easy 'click of the button' method??

I use the tried and tested easy way... I copy a quote from one post and then quote a different post and paste the previous quote into it ;)

bustagasket
24-08-2009, 11:06 AM
if you hit the button next to the quote box (the one with the quotation marks on it) on each of the posts you want to quote and then hit "post reply" it will bring them all up in your reply box :D

The Bijou Dragon
24-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Or you could click this button http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/images/buttons/multiquote_off.gif at the bottom right of all the posts you want to reply to (I think it lights up red when you've clicked it) and then when you have multiple ones lit up you hit 'Post Reply' and the box will open with all the quotes neatly listed for you.

Then you just reply under the ones you want to outside of the [quote*] [/quote*]... the *'s are just to stop it resolving so I can show you in this post :)

bustagasket
24-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Or you could click this button http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/images/buttons/multiquote_off.gif at the bottom right of all the posts you want to reply to (I think it lights up red when you've clicked it) and then when you have multiple ones lit up you hit 'Post Reply' and the box will open with all the quotes neatly listed for you.

Then you just reply under the ones you want to outside of the [quote*] [/quote*]... the *'s are just to stop it resolving so I can show you in this post :)

i think we were posting at the same time lol but i didnt do the pretty picture, or explain quite so well lmao

Solunar Silver Studio
24-08-2009, 11:25 AM
DERRRRR!<:)- In my defence - I am a word person...I read words and ignore silly symbols!! (Smilies are not silly symbols!!!) Thanks girls - I might get it right next time!!!:Y:

Di Sandland
24-08-2009, 11:26 AM
DERRRRR!<:)- In my defence - I am a word person...I read words and ignore silly symbols!! (Smilies are not silly symbols!!!) Thanks girls - I might get it right next time!!!:Y:

Oh, Barbara, me too. Words good, pictures bad!

MuranoSilver
24-08-2009, 12:36 PM
The finished piece was an enamelled copper dome set in a sterling silver design with a hanging 'baroque' pearl...(well freshwater really!) and a twisted square wire pin The brass one was an experimental piece.

Love them both but my favourite is the Treble Clef looking one on the left :)
Nicx

MuranoSilver
24-08-2009, 12:37 PM
OMG Nic,
Do you know him. :)
We've spoken with Chris a few times and I've sent a few folk his way too :Y:
Nic x