PDA

View Full Version : Safety pickle from cooksons

Truffle & Podge
24-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Does anyone know what the safety pickle from cookies is? it says it's food grade so i was wondering if it was citric acid rather than alum. Also do you need to use a glass bowl inside a slow cooker if you are using safety pickle or is it less likely to corrode the ceramic as quickly?
Cheers guys
Tasha
x

Dennis
24-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Don't know about the safety pickle Tasha, but Cookies will send you a data sheet if you ask.

The ceramic bowl in a slow cooker is already glazed, so the pickle solution can go straight in it. What does happen is that the metal rim of the glass lid corrodes quite a bit but other than scrubbing off the deposit from time to time, it has not caused bother.

Some people worry that rust can drop into the pickle and turn silver pink as a bit of iron might. So they put plastic tape on the rim, but I have never felt the need.

Dennis.

Truffle & Podge
24-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Cheers Dennis after fiddling about with candles and fondue stands i think an argos cheapie is prob worth it to reduce the stress lol
X
p.s stupid question but you do leave the lid on while warming don't you?

Wallace
24-05-2013, 03:59 PM
I just cut my lid's rim off. Saves me having to faff about with any caked up gunk later and provides a little area for steam to release if I angle the lid slightly to the side.

You can use many things though, for pickling. Yes, even the old stand by of Vinegar. Good enough for eggs, beetroot, onions and piccalilli... the stuff goes well with chips too, but wouldn't recommend after it has been used for pickling.

I have used lemon juice in desperation before and that also worked very well.

alum has been the best and most consistent. I get mine from a variety of sources, but mostly from Fischer as is comes in a larger size and still costs less in the post than getting it from the UK.

ps link for the knowledge base. http://portalgc.knowledgebase.net/display/2/index.aspx?c=12004&cpc=TKvN0Y442nJq41250385h0TtoO3RuDHqcReVI&cid=11047&cat=&catURL=&r=0.503906786441803

click on the product info on the left side and then type in safety pickle and it will come up with a list

mizgeorge
24-05-2013, 04:00 PM
I leave the lid on. I wasn't impressed with the new 'food grade' pickle - it didn't last long enough for me - but there again I only make up pickle every six months or so.

I'm a big alum fan, and of course that can also be food grade. It's widely used in Asian cookery for (wait for it) making pickles.

Truffle & Podge
24-05-2013, 04:30 PM
I just cut my lid's rim off. Saves me having to faff about with any caked up gunk later and provides a little area for steam to release if I angle the lid slightly to the side.

You can use many things though, for pickling. Yes, even the old stand by of Vinegar. Good enough for eggs, beetroot, onions and piccalilli... the stuff goes well with chips too, but wouldn't recommend after it has been used for pickling.

I have used lemon juice in desperation before and that also worked very well.

alum has been the best and most consistent. I get mine from a variety of sources, but mostly from Fischer as is comes in a larger size and still costs less in the post than getting it from the UK.

ps link for the knowledge base. http://portalgc.knowledgebase.net/display/2/index.aspx?c=12004&cpc=TKvN0Y442nJq41250385h0TtoO3RuDHqcReVI&cid=11047&cat=&catURL=&r=0.503906786441803

click on the product info on the left side and then type in safety pickle and it will come up with a list

What would i do without you chicky? great idea getting rid of the rim (being the worry wort i am it was bound to have bugged me!) and cheers for the link i will prob be giving alum a go after the recommendations from you and George
Huggles :) X

Truffle & Podge
24-05-2013, 04:32 PM
I leave the lid on. I wasn't impressed with the new 'food grade' pickle - it didn't last long enough for me - but there again I only make up pickle every six months or so.

I'm a big alum fan, and of course that can also be food grade. It's widely used in Asian cookery for (wait for it) making pickles.

ROFLOL at the Asian pickle making! Isn't it used in swmming pools et al too..................weird!
X

mizgeorge
24-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Not alum for pools - I think you're thinking of sparex (which is very popular with jewellers in the US) and is a pool pH adjustment chemical.

Truffle & Podge
24-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Not alum for pools - I think you're thinking of sparex (which is very popular with jewellers in the US) and is a pool pH adjustment chemical.
That's probably the one! :)

Truffle & Podge
24-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Yay pickle pot (slow cooker) acquired!
Presume i wash it out first, do you just put it on warm or do do you set it on high or low for a bit to bring temp up? already got mixed pickle only used a couple of times so no point mixing a new batch with hot water

Dennis
24-05-2013, 06:41 PM
:-"
already got mixed pickle

Thats fine, but take out the carrots and gherkins- just keep the onions. :-"

Truffle & Podge
24-05-2013, 06:54 PM
:-"

Thats fine, but take out the carrots and gherkins- just keep the onions. :-"

Oh dear :rofl:
X

Pedro
12-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Food Grade pickle is eithier, malic acid, lactic acid or most likely Acetic Acid.

Cookson's one I believe is Acetic Acid, not that i would recomend it but a put a granule of Cookson Food Grade Safety Pickle and then granule of Acetic Acid bought from a wine making shop on my tounge and they tasted the same !. Its the same stuff they pickle onions in and cover those horribble sour jelly sweets with.

Pedro

ps_bond
12-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Citric is also a food grade pickle - and more commonly used on things like the Haribo sour sweets. I don't think I've seen acetic used for that. That said, I've never used acetic in winemaking either - only citric.

Pedro
12-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Citric is also a food grade pickle - and more commonly used on things like the Haribo sour sweets. I don't think I've seen acetic used for that. That said, I've never used acetic in winemaking either - only citric.

Doh ! I mean citric acid ofcourse, I'm getting my pickle onion making mixed up with my wine making again !. I buy the "Young's" brand in big bag's, good for de-scaling kettles,showerheads etc. Also if you have a Nespesso dont spend load's of money on thier descaling kits, just make a citric acid solution and peice of filter paper were the capsule goes and run through once, then once with clean water.

Pedro

Truffle & Podge
12-06-2013, 09:34 PM
I think i'm a bit weird i can actually just eat spoonfuls of citric acid straight out the bag.....................my mouth is watering just thinking about it lol (no i'm not going to attack my pickle bag just incase haha):-p