PDA

View Full Version : Customers grrrr!

caroleallen
20-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Just made engagement and wedding rings in white gold with yellow gold wavy line and settings. I made the plain rings and the couple tried them on said they were fine. I then added the gold bits and finished the rings. Couple picked them up yesterday and said they were delighted. Last night I got an email to say that the man's ring was too big and what could I do!!! I can't make it smaller as it would completely spoil the ring. I seem to remember someone on here saying they've added something on the inside to make a ring smaller but can't remember how it was done.

ps_bond
20-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Tell him to wait for warmer weather?

Are sizing beads an option? I know they're more commonly specced for arthritic fingers, but there's a chance they might do.
There are sizing clips around too, but I wouldn't have thought they'd be ideal.

caroleallen
20-05-2013, 08:42 AM
I thought of making a very thin ring to solder inside but it's only slightly too big, so that may be too much, though I could stretch it slightly. Trouble is it would mean hallmarking again. Anything I do now would have the potential to ruin it. It's also engraved on the inside.

ps_bond
20-05-2013, 09:05 AM
An off-the wall idea - and I've no idea if this would work, I've never tried it.

A wedding ring resizer would crush any external ornamentation. However, if the outside of the ring is wrapped with an even layer of Polymorph, will that a) flex enough to allow the resizing and b) protect the ornamentation?
You could even mould the plastic with gaps around it so that it could act as a split die.

Some experimentation would be required, obviously...

Added - this would probably need to be jigged so that the thickness of the plastic remained consistent and the ring stayed concentric. A hose clamp might work for the outside forming.

caroleallen
20-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks Peter. I may leave it to you to try it out! They haven't got back to me since last night, so I'm hoping they've decided it's OK.

medusa
20-05-2013, 07:50 PM
An off-the wall idea - and I've no idea if this would work, I've never tried it.

A wedding ring resizer would crush any external ornamentation. However, if the outside of the ring is wrapped with an even layer of Polymorph, will that a) flex enough to allow the resizing and b) protect the ornamentation?
You could even mould the plastic with gaps around it so that it could act as a split die.

Some experimentation would be required, obviously...

Added - this would probably need to be jigged so that the thickness of the plastic remained consistent and the ring stayed concentric. A hose clamp might work for the outside forming.

If I'm reading this right, you are suggesting squashing it smaller?

Carole, I hope it was just a bit of a chilly day for him and his fingers are now nice and fat again :)

ps_bond
20-05-2013, 08:20 PM
If I'm reading this right, you are suggesting squashing it smaller?

Yup. A bit of a faff, but it might work. Depends on the ring as much as anything else.

Wallace
20-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Father Michael, my and my late hubby's aficionado for our wedding advised that we didn't get a ring to perfectly fit as over the years we will change - he suggested a half size larger and on the day, adding "ones fingers may swell as the impending sweaty palms will have fingers like sausages warming in a pan!" Rather than struggle to get it to fit, just place it on the end of the finger and ease it on yourself - it worked.

Maybe a suggestion that if after the event it does seem a little larger than is comfy then to adjust it?? Gives you a little more planning time too.

caroleallen
20-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Thanks Wallace. If they come back to me I'll give them that advice.

medusa
20-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Yup. A bit of a faff, but it might work. Depends on the ring as much as anything else.

not surprised Carole suggested you try it first :p

Keia
20-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Father Michael, my and my late hubby's aficionado for our wedding advised that we didn't get a ring to perfectly fit as over the years we will change - he suggested a half size larger and on the day, adding "ones fingers may swell as the impending sweaty palms will have fingers like sausages warming in a pan!" Rather than struggle to get it to fit, just place it on the end of the finger and ease it on yourself - it worked.

Maybe a suggestion that if after the event it does seem a little larger than is comfy then to adjust it?? Gives you a little more planning time too.

That actually happened at our wedding - I couldn't get his ring on his finger even though it was all measured before hand (ughh, bad pun, sorry!). I just had to grin awkwardly and force it on over his knuckle :">

Exsecratio
29-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Maybe a suggestion that if after the event it does seem a little larger than is comfy then to adjust it?? Gives you a little more planning time too

I had the same, My wedding ring fitted perfectly on my wedding day (today is my aniversary as it happens) but now can seem a little lose in cold weather. Due to what I do for a job it now tends to hang round my neck on a chain to avoid damaging it or my fingers during the day though.

My wife's ring fitted perfectly also but now on cold days she has a small clip on the inside that holds it in place, not brilliant but safe enough for daily wear.

best wishes

Dave