PDA

View Full Version : Help me!!!! Noooo!

Truffle & Podge
16-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Ok think i have messed up big time. Prepping for sweat soldering fluxed, light heat to dry, painted on rouge paste to stop solder going where i didn't want it to, light heat to dry, placed fluxed solder and started to heat round etc...............torch starts running out of fuel #-o solder balls then starts to flow the tiniest bit really not enough...........now i'm stuck what do i do? how can i get this stuff off? PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME

caroleallen
16-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Can't you just re-flux it and heat it again?

Truffle & Podge
16-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Can't you just re-flux it and heat it again?

I don't know? can i? i thought the melting temp got higher and as it's sweat soldering i wasn't sure i've just thrown it in the pickle to try and get the flux etc off it

caroleallen
16-05-2013, 08:23 PM
I'd definitely have a got at refluxing and soldering it again. I don't think you've done any harm so far.

Goldsmith
17-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Tasha, as others have said, just clean the piece up, re flux and try again. To be certain just add a little fresh solder. If you didn't know, one way to do this is to cut a tiny square of clean solder, I always scrape the surface of my solders before cutting squares, gently heat the prepared fluxed piece, then pick up the solder square with tweezers, dip it in the borax flux, and then place it on the hot solder joint and it should stick in place, then continue heating with the torch until the solder flows. Play the heat on the opposite side to where the solder is attached as the solder will run towards the heat when it flows.

James

Truffle & Podge
17-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks guys! Got there in the end not the tidiest of joints but not bad for first time need to clean up a bit of excess solder, is that just elbow grease? X