PDA

View Full Version : Are those sratches or just some sort residue streaks? HELP WITH FINAL POLISH PLEASE!

Alexa
16-05-2013, 06:47 PM
I know this may be duff question but I gave up now! My silver is never "mirror" polished no matter what I do. I start polishing with emery papers, tripoli, rouge or blue and then white luxi polishing compounds. I clean all pieces between switching to finer compound in hot water and washing up liquid. After I am done I place silver in ultrasonic cleaner, but pieces have some kind of streaks (?) everywhere? I know that last step should be steam cleaning (I wish I had a steamer) but tried boiling my jewellery and still nothing. I think after I ended up with even more scratches than when I have started :(

My question is... Are this some king of streaks or just scratches? What am I doing wrong?

It's really hard to capture those streaks on photo as can bee seen only at some angle. How is the jewellery bougt on high street so perfect?
Alex

Truffle & Podge
16-05-2013, 07:32 PM
From what I've read on here barrel tumbling but to be honest I'm learning as i go myself

Truffle & Podge
16-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Just had a thought do you use a dremel type set up with a split mandrel to emery paper it? I noticed that when I did it left a weird uneven looking surface, I have brass brushed it after and it looked more uniform but am yet to final polish so I don't know if I will have the same problem

Alexa
16-05-2013, 07:37 PM
I have barrel and I am no fan of it. At least not for a large flat pieces. Maybe I am doing it wrong too ;)

Truffle & Podge
16-05-2013, 07:46 PM
I have barrel and I am no fan of it. At least not for a large flat pieces. Maybe I am doing it wrong too ;)

Does it need a new home?? lol

Alexa
16-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Does it need a new home?? lol

Haha! Didn't think about that as yet but I might... ;) Will let you know first if it will look for new home.

Truffle & Podge
16-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Nice one! Cheers :D

mizgeorge
16-05-2013, 11:13 PM
I might not be able to help much with the problem, but I can answer the question about the high street stuff - pretty much all of it is silver plated over sterling. It lets the mass producers get away with far less finishing and gives a very perfect look (for a while anyway).

I use a magnetic polisher as one of my early stages in finishing, and find it gives me a much cleaner surface (slightly matte) to polish.

Truffle & Podge
17-05-2013, 12:03 AM
I might not be able to help much with the problem, but I can answer the question about the high street stuff - pretty much all of it is silver plated over sterling. It lets the mass producers get away with far less finishing and gives a very perfect look (for a while anyway).

I use a magnetic polisher as one of my early stages in finishing, and find it gives me a much cleaner surface (slightly matte) to polish.

ooh magnetic polisher, what's that?

Alexa
17-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Thanks George for solving mystery of High Street jewellery at least :) So there may be nothing wrong I'm doing cause I can't think of anything else could be done (beside plating now).
What shot/compound are you using in you magnetic polisher?

mizgeorge
17-05-2013, 09:20 AM
I just use very fine pins (0.4mm x 5mm) and a few drops of brightening fluid. I often do no more finishing than that other than a quick rub over with a polishing cloth as I like the slightly satin finish I get. If I need more, I tend to work through a set of radial discs to get a bit more shine.

Patstone
17-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Dont forget Andrew Berry's podcast is on tomorrow afternoon and its on polishing.

Alexa
17-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Hmm... So are you telling me I have wasted 2h of my life by pulling out fine pins from my shot? I thought that these are responsible for matte finish on pieces?

@ Patstone where Andrew's podcast can be seen? Sorry, I am new to this forum :)

mizgeorge
17-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Don't worry Alexa! These pins are much, much, much smaller and finer than the ones in the mixed shot. I've found that most mixes contain pins that are pretty sharp and damaging, though the one from Rio is much better - with lovely smooth, soft pointed pin ends that don't seem to leave any marks at all on even quite large pieces. The ones for the mag polisher are tiny - like these: http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/acatalog/Magnetic-Rust-free-steel-pins-for-Magnetic-tumbler-94_091.html

Alexa
18-05-2013, 02:23 AM
You are a star George! Thank you very much for all your answers! I will def have a look at Rio shot as you are totally right about sharp pins in most shots. Just hope I could afford magnetic tumbler one day ;)

Patstone
18-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Andrew Berrys podcast is at http://www.anymeeting.com/atthebench1

medusa
18-05-2013, 09:37 AM
I find that on my flat pieces as well sometimes. I think it's the alloy itself and nothing to do with polishing.

mizgeorge
18-05-2013, 09:58 AM
A magnetic polisher doesn't have to be expensive at all - in fact, you can get one for less than a decent tumbler.

This one http://www.technicalsupermarket.com/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,1636/category_id,388/manufacturer_id,0/Itemid,4/ does the job just fine - though I don't like the pins that come with it and prefer the ones from Manchester Minerals. I have a couple of them and I've always been very happy with them.

Truffle & Podge
18-05-2013, 02:49 PM
I got there a bit late on the podcast. Did Andrew suggest anything ? I know he addressed it from when you get it from ultra sonic cleaners but not from when it's nothing to do with that X

ShinyLauren
20-05-2013, 12:28 PM
I got there a bit late on the podcast. Did Andrew suggest anything ? I know he addressed it from when you get it from ultra sonic cleaners but not from when it's nothing to do with that X

Oooh, what did he say about the ultrasonics? I missed the podcast and I'm almost certain my stuff is perfectly polished when it goes into the ultrasonic, but then it comes out with weird white streaks/marbling on it. Baffled.

Alexa
20-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Oooh, what did he say about the ultrasonics? I missed the podcast and I'm almost certain my stuff is perfectly polished when it goes into the ultrasonic, but then it comes out with weird white streaks/marbling on it. Baffled.

What solution are you using in your ultrasonic?

ShinyLauren
20-05-2013, 06:31 PM
I've tried Seaclean and regular ammonia cleaning fluid from Walsh. Jeweller I met last week uses plain washing up liquid and gets the same problem.

What should I be using?

Alexa
20-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Andrew mentioned using less solution may reduce this effect. I found that changing water every time gives better results. I have used Seaclean and washing up liquid too but have not tried very diluted mixture yet. At least I am not alone with this problem...

Truffle & Podge
20-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Don't suppose the eraser worked :(
X

Alexa
20-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Don't suppose the eraser worked :(
X

Haha still didn't find any eraser! My 2 year old had a habbit of eating them some time ago so we got rid of all erasers at home. Now need to buy one :P

Wallace
20-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Andrew mentioned using less solution may reduce this effect. I found that changing water every time gives better results. I have used Seaclean and washing up liquid too but have not tried very diluted mixture yet. At least I am not alone with this problem...

I use Blitz concentrate. FAB, streak free and I have been using it for over six years. Love the stuff. Concentrate is watered down, in either my sonic or just in an old pump spray to clean of residue. It just does not streak.

ShinyLauren
21-05-2013, 04:34 AM
Where would I get Blitz from Wallace? Sounds perfect!

caroleallen
21-05-2013, 08:02 AM
I've never really understood the difference in finish between a magnetic polisher and a tumbler. Is the finish better with a magnetic polisher?

Wallace
21-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Where would I get Blitz from Wallace? Sounds perfect! I get mine from here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concentrated-Cleaning-Solution-Ultrasonic-Cleaners/dp/B000F1SCU4/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp), it is difficult to get hold of the stuff anywhere else. Additionally, It is none toxic; so a bonus. Heated water improves the clean,

I've never really understood the difference in finish between a magnetic polisher and a tumbler. Is the finish better with a magnetic polisher?
The mags all vary in size, but are consistent with a very fine marks as the steel pins 'tickle' the surface of the metal. Small round bearings may burnish, but I haven't been able to use any with my little bumblebee, which can only take 20 MIS of spinning the magnets before it starts to get dizzy and need a rest! I will invest in a more Sturdy model later as the finish is quite pleasant. My latest entry into the monthly comp was given a mag finish, rather than my normal high shine. The metal has an almost white silver look. Will need a final buff if you want that shine though.

Barrel polishing is the full on burnishing. Metal comes out all shiny any with very little to do. I use it for cleaning older tarnished pieces or batches of jump rings, chains etc. Also takes the sharpness off handmade ear wires too. Needs no more than a buff with a cloth if you use the right burnishing soap. Different soaps can affect the finish as some are designed with a little abrasive compound in the mix. Burnishing compound for a burnishing finish. Or a little fairy liquid if you run out. I do mean a little ;)

LydiaNiz
22-05-2013, 08:08 AM
I use a barrel polisher and a dremel flexi-fella. If I get those marks (and it happens a fair bit) it is only from hand-polishing. I tend to then emery paper it back, and re-polish using as spare amount of polish as possible. It's a pain. I find it happens a lot less with new polishing points too.