PDA

View Full Version : Shame and the assay office

LydiaNiz
15-05-2013, 09:08 AM
I have been asked to make some rude cufflinks (cartoon body parts, no words), and whilst I dont mind making them, I am cringing so much at some poor soul at the assay office opening up a package of smut.
Is it common practice to add an apology to the notes, or just live with the knowledge that you've potentially scarred someone for life?
*Still cringing*

Dennis
15-05-2013, 09:16 AM
To avoid disappointment, ring to see if they have some rules about that Lydia. I know Royal Mail say in the small print that you are not allowed to send filth in the post, but I think they mean it literally. Dennis.

medusa
15-05-2013, 09:42 AM
heh, if only the knew what they will be handling in my parcel I sent yesterday! I should think that unless it's really really explicit and realistic they probably won't mind if they even inspect the design that closely.

LydiaNiz
15-05-2013, 05:09 PM
It's fairly harmless Dennis, but perhaps I should...didn't someone on here used to make items so rude they would never post pictures? Medusa, what on earth are you sending? (I just want to feel better really)

ps_bond
15-05-2013, 05:22 PM
There is the requirement to keep it family-friendly still... Be circumspect please.
Royal Mail's regs are here - http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Prohibited-Goods

Dennis
16-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Yes it's there: waste , dirt, filth and refuse. You cant send it through the post has become a family saying.

SteveLAO
04-06-2013, 10:31 AM
We're very broad minded here at London! Some of the stuff we've had to hallmark here would make your eyes pop out, but they also really brighten up our day, so I hope it was us who are did them!! We're happy to mark what you send us, but it's nice to give us some forewarning so we know what to expect :) I do realise it's an old post, but for future reference it's really not a problem as far as we are concerned.

Patstone
04-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Can I ask another question relating to getting things marked. I made a biggish flower (about 3cm across) but the silver is thin so it is less than the required weight to stamp - but I have a 9ct gold ball or at least half a ball (the back is flat) that measures 5mm across and about 3mm high, which I soldered in to make up the centre, the whole lot is still under the weight of silver requirements. Would I have to get it hallmarked because of the gold, didnt weigh it before I soldered it in.

We're very broad minded here at London! Some of the stuff we've had to hallmark here would make your eyes pop out, but they also really brighten up our day, so I hope it was us who are did them!! We're happy to mark what you send us, but it's nice to give us some forewarning so we know what to expect :) I do realise it's an old post, but for future reference it's really not a problem as far as we are concerned.

mizgeorge
04-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Pat - this was already answered on the other thread - it's the total weight of metal that has to be considered - so if it includes gold and is over 1g, it needs to be hallmarked if it's being sold as precious metal.

Patstone
04-06-2013, 06:55 PM
I am selling it as silver, and I wanted verification from the horses mouth so to speak.

Pat - this was already answered on the other thread - it's the total weight of metal that has to be considered - so if it includes gold and is over 1g, it needs to be hallmarked if it's being sold as precious metal.