PDA

View Full Version : Patterned copper

pearl
13-05-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm trying to find ready patterned Copper sheet or strips in the uk
Anyone out there know of a company in the uk?
Many thanks

mizgeorge
13-05-2013, 07:53 PM
I've not seen any, but it's incredibly easy to make your own by etching or putting through a rolling mill.

Dennis
13-05-2013, 08:49 PM
As George said, but at its most basic you can get a hammered finish using a ball-pein hammer on a steel block. This has been discussed here recently, so you can put various key words into our search box above right. Dennis.

pearl
13-05-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm not really clued up on etching and dont have a rolling mill(one day...)
... thought a ready one would be an easy option but it's proving to be harder than I thought.

pearl
13-05-2013, 09:03 PM
A big thank you to both you and George I think that will probably be my best option
It will definitely be cheaper for me!
Big thank you

Dennis
14-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Well in that case here are a few more thoughts:

The hammered finish I suggested is traditional, But after a while You will get bored with it:

1. Despite talk of polishing the ball really well, I think dents and marks on the hammer can give a more interesting result. In fact if you can find really cheap hammers in a pound shop, you can saw and file straight or criss-cross lines to both sides to give more textures.

2. When you get bored with this, look at the reverse of your sheet, where the result is much more subtle.

3. Look for burrs and other metal objects to use as punches. For example burrs when tapped will make tiny stars on small pieces.

Lastly to brighten your textures without wearing them down, brush them up with a wet and soapy brass brush. Even the kind used on suade shoes will do. Dennis.