PDA

View Full Version : etching..

gary
12-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi

Can anyone tell me the ideal drying time for Mylands stop out, before it goes in the acid?

Thank you..

Dennis
12-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Can anyone tell me the ideal drying time for Mylands stop out, before it goes in the acid?.

Depending on room conditions, when a sample patch is no longer sticky to the touch and then some. Over night is about right, and then the back and the edges are covered with plastic tape before immersing in the etchant.

I have been very impressed with ultraviolet light activated stop out, which is applied all over the metal with a roller, then when dry,has the image (on acetate) taped to it and exposed in a light box with special tubes. This hardens the resist not obscured by the image and the surplus can be washed off in a soda solution.

As you will have realised it is the image which will now etch away, but the result is the most perfect for small scale use, that I have seen so far. If anyone is interested I can post more details here when I have been to a further seminar. Dennis.

gary
12-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks Dennis,
Ah! thats where ive been going wrong it feels so dry to the touch been putting in too early. Thanks for other tips, I am well aquainted with the photo-sensitive techniques as used to do screenprint, its the same process. But yeah more tips sounds good, can never have enough!

Cheers now

Gary

medusa
12-05-2013, 02:47 PM
I have been very impressed with ultraviolet light activated stop out, which is applied all over the metal with a roller, then when dry,has the image (on acetate) taped to it and exposed in a light box with special tubes. This hardens the resist not obscured by the image and the surplus can be washed off in a soda solution.

oh! gotta link for this?

mizgeorge
12-05-2013, 04:08 PM
That sounds very interesting Dennis - I'd love to hear more too.

Dennis
12-05-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm not into etching, so it takes a lot to enthuse me, but a photosensitive technique without fiddling about in a darkroom did. Also rolling the blue resist all over the metal plate is so much easier than ironing on the image.

So far I have only had part one of a tutorial in the school I attend once a week and I'm away next week, but as soon as I have the full information, I'll spill the beans.

In the mean time a student has already etched the thing from Dickens to hang inside her front door as a warning:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." Dennis.