PDA

View Full Version : Forum member goldsmith gave me a tip i thought i should share as it's brilliant!

Truffle & Podge
11-05-2013, 11:08 PM
I don't know whether everyone already knows this but after asking him his advice Goldsmith gave me this tip that i hope he doesn't mind me sharing :respekt:

"do you know about using a rouge paste mixture to protect earlier solder joins when doing multiple solderings on the same piece. This is just rouge powder mixed with water into a thick paste and when painted onto earlier solder joints it solidifys when heated and protects the earlier solder joins, then after soldering it is washed off under a running tap before pickling, otherwise you will end up with red pickle"

Big thanks James you are a legend!
Tasha x

Patstone
12-05-2013, 07:14 AM
You are also supposed to be able to use Tippex, but I have never tried it. You can buy heat resistant paste from most of the suppliers, I got mine from Cookies, and that works well, not expensive but you do need to use a lot as it has to be put on about quarter of an inch thick.

Anna Wales
12-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Have always kept a small medicine bottle top with rouge in on the bench.Just add water when you need it and paint on. Saves many a swear word and raised blood pressure!!

Goldsmith
12-05-2013, 08:03 AM
I keep my rouge powder/paste in an old plastic typewriter ribbon box, it dries up after time and as Anna says I also just add water when I need it. I also have a collection of these typewriter ribbon boxes with various grades of solders inside. Typewriters, this show my age!

James

Anna Wales
12-05-2013, 06:26 PM
I keep my rouge powder/paste in an old plastic typewriter ribbon box, it dries up after time and as Anna says I also just add water when I need it. I also have a collection of these typewriter ribbon boxes with various grades of solders inside. Typewriters, this show my age!

James

That brings back memories,James. We had an old black Olivetti, a real thing of beauty. Typing out a letter was a real workout on the arms.

kymbi
12-05-2013, 09:21 PM
I use Tippex, it works but can sometimes be a bit fiddly to remove. I know about the rouge paste but I'm such a mucky bugger that the rouge gets everywhere.

Petal
13-05-2013, 08:59 AM
I use Tippex, it works but can sometimes be a bit fiddly to remove. I know about the rouge paste but I'm such a mucky bugger that the rouge gets everywhere.

I use Tippex too; it works for me. :Y:

Goldsmith
13-05-2013, 09:56 AM
I don't know where the idea of using Tippex came from, I just Googled to see if there were any dangers in using it near heat sources and found this;
http://www.office365.co.uk/COSHHPDF/00215X-Tipp-Ex-Rapid-Correction-Fluid-Fast-drying-with-Foam-Applicator-20ml-White-Ref-8012969-Pack-10.pdf

On page 3 it states;
10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
STABILITY :
Normally stable
CONDITIONS TO AVOID :
Avoid heat, flames and other sources of ignition.
HAZARDOUS POLYMERIZATION :
Will not polymerize.
MATERIALS TO AVOID :
Strong oxidizing agents. Strong reducing agents.
HAZARDOUS DECOMP. PRODUCTS :
Carbon oxides and various hydrocarbons formed when burned.

ps_bond
13-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Once the solvent vehicle has evaporated, there's little left other than titanium dioxide and a binder (but mostly TiO2).
I use it mostly to stop mokume sticking to torque plates.

Patstone
13-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Age, dont be silly, you are only a year older than me and I consider myself in my prime. If you think old you will get old, my mother still at 96 remarks on other people in their 70's "look at that poor old soul". She does all her housework, gardening and looking after the house, although she does have a lady that comes in once a week for an hour to wash the hard floors and do the ironing. My dad is 9 years younger, so he has been allocated to cook the dinner as my mum hates cooking. I have quite a lot to live up to!!!!
P.S I learnt to type on a typewriter with a box over the keys so you learnt to touch type.

James