PDA

View Full Version : Rolling mills....Quality??

taylordebs
11-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Would love to own a rolling mill but money is tight, I am only a hobbyist so would it be best to buy the value cookies one or hold out for a second hand Durston one please, can there be anything terribly and expensively wrong with a used one please? Many thanks

Dennis
12-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Most people would not part with a decent rolling mill until they retire or die. So if you see a Durston and the rollers are not pitted the roller adjustment (if needed) is simple.
However it is much easier to turn a mill with gears and it is useful to have at least 80mm of flat rollers, as well as grooves for square wire and D-shaped.

If you search rolling mills in the box (top left) you will see that some members are quite happy with the Cookson economy model, but I guess exchangeable rollers are a pain you might avoid. Dennis.

taylordebs
13-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks, so can you get new rollers for Durstons if necessary please? thanks

Goldsmith
13-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks, so can you get new rollers for Durstons if necessary please? thanks

Durston give great service and will supply any replacements for damaged or missing parts if they have them in stock, my Durston D2 mils have given me great service over the years and are almost as good now as when I bought them, if they are looked after and not misused they will last a long time.

James

Patstone
13-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Time for me to show my ignorance again. I know rolling mills make things thinner, but do you cast the sheet first and then roll it, or is there something else you can do with it, because I may need one.

Dennis
13-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Recycled scrap metal is cast into an ingot mould first. Then it can be rolled into sheet, or put into the grooves to make wire. I don't do any of that Pat, because pouring molten metal at home is not my idea of fun and because the product can be unreliable.

So my mill is used among other things for:

1. Roll texturing sheet with paper, fabric, or wire.
2. Rolling bought sheet and wire to other thicknesses.
3. Turning stubby remnants into square wire.
4. Thinning the ends of wire prior to drawing down.

Once you have a mill you will find plenty of uses for it. Here's one more: You have a bezel that is say 3.0mm too short. Put it through the mill with very little pressure and you have the right length.....magic. Dennis.

Patstone
14-05-2013, 05:19 AM
I agree with you the thought of pouring moulton metal in my spare bedroom doesnt bear thinking about. I dont think that a rolling mill will be on my list of priorities then. Thanks for that, I do get a lot of scrap though, I have melted remnants down to make a pendant, tried to make a ring with some, but dont think my set-up is man enough to cope with that, unless I am putting too much on at a time. What is the best way of getting rid of it, I have about half a jam jar full at the moment.

Dennis
14-05-2013, 10:49 AM
You need to get scrap to a bullion dealer in the cheapest possible way. I'm lucky in that I can go to Cookson, Hatton Garden, But as they insist on an assay which costs around£40, I wait until I have at least a Kilo of silver to make it worthwhile. Dennis.

Patstone
14-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Thats a lot of dosh, and a lot of silver bits. Perhaps I will stick to making pendants with mine then.

ps_bond
14-05-2013, 03:11 PM
If it's being assayed, there's no real benefit to separating out the scrap into gold & silver, is there?

Tabby66
14-05-2013, 08:22 PM
If it's being assayed, there's no real benefit to separating out the scrap into gold & silver, is there?

No, there isn't Peter.........you'll get payed for what you give them....less 1 processing charge!!

Dennis
14-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Well my understanding is that if you bring in silver scrap, they will only assay for silver- gold ditto. Or do you have inside knowledge, Tabby? Dennis.

Patstone
15-05-2013, 06:13 AM
I havent ventured into gold yet, if silver goes into a ball cos its got too hot, it isnt so important, but gold, awwwhhhh

Tabby66
15-05-2013, 08:40 PM
I wish Dennis!!
I understood it as 1 processing charge and each metal assayed...........maybe that's where my information is confused,.....maybe there will then be multiple assay charges?? But perhaps one processing charge will create a small saving...............shall have to seek some clarification!!!!!!!!!!