PDA

View Full Version : Pure rouge bar

WitchfordSilver
23-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I have a pure rouge bar with I use with a calico mop, but I find the bar is very hard and creates a huge amount of dust while polishing. The whole garage is slowly turning red.

Without resorting to an extraction system, is there a way to cut down on the dust produced during the polishing?

Solunar Silver Studio
23-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi :~:, Sorry I can't be of any help...the absolute master of all problems workshop related is Peter - ps bond - although I'm sure others will be along who could add some suggestions. I've not had the opportunity to say Hi before - What sort of work do you do? I assume silver...and a lot of it if you are turning your garage red!!

Charlotte
23-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah I have the same problem and have since stopped using the rouge until I can find something better. My workshop is also our guest room so covering everything in red dust creates a huge amount of cleaning for me to do;):N:

...This is no help to you but I'd love to know what the solution could be;)

ben b
23-08-2009, 05:25 PM

Matp85
23-08-2009, 05:43 PM
you could always put a n shape box over the wheel (not the whole thing make box and put hole in the side for the arm.) and use a hoover through a hole in the bottom of the bench to help! noisy but will help with the dust.

Make sure you dont make the box to small for movement, but not to big so the suction is to weak. its a fine line but also please wear a mask while polishing!

Di Sandland
23-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Bugger! I've just sold a wonderful extraction system! :(|:(|

Lindyloo
23-08-2009, 09:39 PM
How would you attach a hoover under the bench?

CyberPaddy66
23-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Plumbing pipe usually works for ducting ;)

Lindyloo
23-08-2009, 10:21 PM
ooohhhhh, clever

ps_bond
24-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Having been name-checked, all I've got to say is "what Ben said" :D
You could build a cowl out of plywood quickly and cheaply enough...

helenrhill
24-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I also use a Henry vacuum as a dust extractor. I've only just started using my bench grinder/polisher for polishing as I was too scared of it for two years!!! What a wuss! I was using my Foredom flexshaft prior to that and always ended up looking like a chimney sweep.

I can honestly say that changing over from using the Foredom for polishing, to using the big, boxed-in polishing motor, was one of the most sensible decisions I have made. I actually enjoy polishing now, whereas I used to absolutely loathe it. It's far less messy, and I'm getting a much more mirror-like polish to my pieces.

Matp85
24-08-2009, 06:59 PM
my mam used to kill me after 8 hours polishing then come home and turn the bath red!

WitchfordSilver
24-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies; I’ve got a large extractor for use over the soldering bench. Did not think of using an old hover for the polishing, I’ve an old VAX that i use for removing the 8-legged monsters from the garage. Strange but most of them are now a nice red shade.

During polishing i always use a mask and safety glasses, but I’m about to make a work shop in the corner of the garage so need to cut down on the dust.

Thank again.