PDA

View Full Version : wanted durston rolling mill

taylordebs
11-05-2013, 08:44 PM
anyone selling a durston rolling mill please? ta

emmaj
08-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Hi,

Have you found a mini mill? I have a 80mm durston mini mill to sell, unused in box (i'm in North Yorkshire) originally purchased from Bairds in Glasgow.
Thanks,

Emma

Patstone
09-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Hi Emma, what have you got to sell, I cant afford a big durston one and I just want to make patterns etc in silver sheet sort of ring size. How much do you want for it and can you send pics please. Why didnt you use it, does anyone have experience with this type of mill, and is it suitable for the purpose that I want it for, and would I be able to turn the handle, not a weakling but......................
Pat

ps_bond
09-11-2013, 09:59 AM
If it's the model I think it is, do remember they are around £450 new.

Wallace
09-11-2013, 11:32 AM
I have the 80 mini-mill. http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Durston-80mm-Mini-Rolling-Mill-60mm-X-6mm-Sheet-Max.-4-X-Square--4-X-d-Shaped-Grooves-prcode-999-AXU

it is great for rolling out flat stock from my recycled scrap silver; rolling a sheet thinner, or with a textured medium; making square and D shape wires. (I miss my round wire forming rolling mill, but you can get different end rollers, I believe). It is fairly easy to operate, once it is screwed down onto a solid base. Metal needs annealing, as the rolling process hardens the metal quite quickly and you will end up with cracks in your metal if you don't. I cannot work the gauge out, so have some of those metal gauge things you get for spark plugs and I don't have any probs. Wouldn't be without it, huge benefits in the workshop when working with flat stock.

Goldsmith
09-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I have a Durston D2 mill, and I think they are magnificent, although I have retired now I think my Durstons will be one of the last workshop tools I shall dispose of. I like the fact that scrap metals can easily be melted and milled into workable sheets and wires.

James

ps_bond
09-11-2013, 12:12 PM
I have a geared DRM130 - I might be tempted to go up to a D2 or D4 at some point primarily for rolling out (larger) mokume sheet. There are times the size of mine is a bit limited for that.

taylordebs
09-11-2013, 02:55 PM
no...very interested. cheers

emmaj
09-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Hi,

I used to make jewellery as a hobby and sold things on a small scale. I attended classes in Glasgow where I had access to a mill, but when I moved I decided to purchase one as the small town I moved to didn't offer the same opportunity for classes. Unfortunately my mum was diagnosed with a terminal illness, then I had a child and I haven't had the opportunity to continue. The mill is sitting unused and could be of use to someone else. I was hoping to get around £375.00 for it (ono), collection for preference. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them here. Thanks, Emma

Patstone
10-11-2013, 06:33 AM
Hi I think you are being a bit optimistic on the price as Cooksons have one in the sale for £381 I think, not sure its the same one though. At that price it would be out of my price range, but thanks anyway. Not quite sure what I would use it for, I have to do jewellery in my spare bedroom so melting silver into crucibles etc is out of the question, so I guess it would just be for putting a pattern on silver, or flattening wire. Sorry to have raised your hopes, and thank you for coming back to me.

ps_bond
10-11-2013, 06:55 AM
Plus VAT, Pat. Which puts it to what I said.

Patstone
10-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Yes, I agree. My point was that one couldnt expect to get almost what a new one cost, even if it has never been used. For second hand most people assume that it will be half of what they paid for one that has been used and slightly over half if its not been used. I wouldnt expect to pay over £250 - £275.

ps_bond
10-11-2013, 09:49 AM
It's a Durston, Pat. They hold their value *very* well and 16% off new for an unused one is pretty reasonable.
For the record, it is the seller's business to spec a price, if they find a buyer at that level, good; if not, it's their call to decide whether or not to adjust the price. It is not our place to debate the price (and yes, I'm aware I'm doing it too).

Patstone
10-11-2013, 11:27 AM
I wasnt debating whether it was cheap or not, just that I cant justify having one at that price for the amount of jewellery I make. I would love to have one, but cant afford to just go out and buy one, not at that price, £250 would have been my limit. Not saying whether it is a good price or bad, just that I know my limits, know what I can afford.

emmaj
10-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Hi, Thanks for the comments Pat and Peter. I've taken some pics and will post it in the classified section too. I think the original person who started the the thread was also interested, so I'll give them the opportunity to reply too before I do.

I'm open to offers on the mill, but I would hope to get more then £275.00 as it's totally unused. I've looked at prices on other forums/ebay and that price does seem to be more for a good condition used one. It's been stored inside, unused and is in v good condition. Thanks, Emma

emmaj
10-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Photos of the mill attached for anyone interested. Thanks, Emma

Tabby66
10-11-2013, 10:43 PM
...for what it's worth, it's Durston, they do hold their price,......don't mean to enter a debate, just passing comment and completely agree that regardless of what we would all love to have, we can't necessarily afford it, I have quite a lot in my 'if only I could afford it' list!!!!
Pat, for what you're describing your intended uses I would have thought one of the cheaper Indian models would be great, I did have one, but have sold it on, but that's exactly what I used it for and it was great!!

Patstone
11-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Exactly but you wont know the price unless you ask. Then you can decide whether a) its worth the price and b) whether you can afford it. I also have a list with things I want, given it to my daughter for a xmas list, there is a machine that I saw at one of the stands that corrugates silver, and I can imagine it being awsome to own, but it wouldnt get used a lot, after all, how many things can you put on a 12 foot table at a craft fair that is corrugated. So that will go on my millionaires list (if I win the lottery, which would be difficult as I dont do it).

metalsmith
01-02-2014, 10:16 PM
emmaj ... PM sent