PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for all the questions guys but need pickle advice for long pieces

Truffle & Podge
07-05-2013, 07:51 PM
What do you do if your piece is significantly longer than any pickle container you have? Do you just pickle one end then flip it round? Have googled but got no answers :(|

mizgeorge
07-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Yes! I do just that, or bend the piece to fit and straighten it afterwards.

I've also been known to pour some hot pickle into a long plastic container (I think it was intended for bacon originally) and then tip it back into the slow cooker afterwards.

Dennis
07-05-2013, 08:10 PM
That's a good reason to have an oval slow cooker, rather than a round one, and a three litre one if you can afford the space.

What I often do, if it's just for annealing wire is to curl it up small, but if it is important to keep it straight, I get out my reserve hot-ring and an oval Pyrex dish which I used routinely upto four years ago. I also have a long dish for rinsing in.

By the time I posted this George had already given a pretty good answer-sorry. Dennis.

Truffle & Podge
07-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Yet again big thanks guys, what would i do without you all? I'm using a pyrex dish over a fondue warmer using the safety pickle,i've been told if i just leave it in cold pickle overnight that also works but i'm not sure i would be able to sleep lol, thinking it through i'm probably best annealing the hammered wire and bending it into shape then cleaning off the area i want to solder before soldering on the pierced pieces & solder the jump rings last then pickling it all in one go. As dummy old me didn't think about the solder remelting if i annealed it after duh!

Patstone
08-05-2013, 08:32 AM
I used to leave my silver pieces in pickle overnight and it works perfectly, then I acquired a bottle warmer from the baby next door when she grew out of needing one.

LydiaNiz
08-05-2013, 08:56 AM
I use a table food warmer (like this one here (https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/14101633481979862083?q=food%20warmer&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46226182,d.d2k&biw=1466&bih=818&wrapid=tlif136800305246110&sa=X&ei=_BGKUdSYNIql0QW6kYDQBw&ved=0CIQBEPMCMAM)) with a pyrex bowl on top with pickle in. If I'm ever making a large piece, I just use a larger bowl (rectangular pie dish time)